Computer Information System Assistant
Department for General Assembly and Conference Management , Vienna, Austria
Closing Date for Applications:
This position is located in the Global Technical Team (GTT) in the Department for General Assembly and Conference Management (DGACM), Vienna. The incumbent reports to the Team Leader.
Within delegated authority, the Computer Information System Assistant (.Net Software Engineer) will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participate in the development, programming, testing, debugging and implementation of new application systems releases, modules and functionalities for the translation tools.
- Develop, test, debug, and implement complex multi-layer computer application systems and programs using established standards for IT technologies, programming languages and tools, namely: .Net, C#, Visual Studio, Scrum, Agile, Azure DevOps, Seq, Azure Cloud.
- Develop, test, debug, implement and maintain applications using UN standard web based and client server development frameworks and technologies ASP.NET, MVC, C#, WCF, Azure SQL Databases, ElasticSearch, OpenXML;
- Develop applications optimized code within .NET framework using Code First technology to carry out database transactions efficiently, data processing logic using stored procedures;
- Develop and implement databases, data collection systems, data analytics and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality;
- Serves as team member in the planning, specification, design, development, implementation and support of computer application systems; independently liaises with users to define and specify requirements.
- Monitor computer applications systems using appropriate monitoring tools and produces monitoring reports.
- Prepare technical documentation for deployed computer application systems and conducts technical presentations.
- Maintain functional specifications for computer application systems, programs and procedures developed and/or modified.
- Provide support for deployed computer application systems including version management, data recovery and deployment;
- Provide guidance to new/junior staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned, such as occasional staff supervision in Team Leader absence.
- Knowledge of organizational information infrastructure, including hardware, software and application systems. Knowledge of relevant programming language(s) and ability to use programming skills to develop information systems. Knowledge of system development workflow and document flow processes, ability to conduct research and gather information from a wide variety of standard and non-standard sources. Ability to respond to changing requirements and assignments, ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required. Relevant additional post-secondary education is desirable.
- 7 years of experience in software development is required.
- 5 years of hands on, daily experience in designing and developing applications using ASP. NET and C# is required.
- 5 years of hands on, daily experience with MS SQL Server and Object Relational Mapping (ORM) development and debugging is required.
- 1 year of hands on, daily experience with Azure SQL databases development, debugging is required; 1 year of hands on, daily experience with OpenXML development, debugging is required; 1 year of hands on, daily experience with Windows Services development, debugging and deployment is required.
- 1 year of hands on, daily experience with Azure DevOps setting up, maintenance and enhancements of pipelines and releases is required; 1 year of hands on, daily experience in Azure Cloud Services is required; 1 year of hands on, daily experience in tools managing version control such as Azure DevOps Services or GIT is required.
- 1 years of hands on, daily experience in VueJs or Angular is required.
- 1 year of hands on, daily experience in production systems based on Elastic Search is required.
- 1 year of hands on, daily experience in Selenium Web Driver is required.
- Experience in .NET Core is desirable;
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.