Save the Children, Kinshasa, Congo
Closing Date for Applications:
- The main purpose of the role is to provide technical input, construction management skills and capacity building support to the CO construction team.
- The CO has a large portfolio of construction projects (4 million USD) in support of Education, Health, Nutrition and Child Protection programmes in both the development and emergency sectors.
- There are a number of the construction projects in the Emergency Programme that will be delayed in implementation due to seasonal rains and logistical challenges.
- This position is initially sought in order to prepare building processes and designs/BOQs in preparation for construction to start in earnest in October/November (dry season).
- Some construction work is expected to continue through the rainy season
Qualifications and experience
- Prior experience of working within a complex country programme in an emergency response or fragile state
- Education to MA/MSc/MEng or equivalent in Architecture, Planning, Civil or Structural engineering, construction, or another relevant subject, or equivalent field experience
- Strong understanding of public health issues in emergency shelter or settlements, with attention to specific needs of women and children.
- Previous experience of managing a team of international and national staff
- Previous experience of programme management across multiple locations
- Commitment to, thorough understanding of, and able to train staff in participation and accountability approaches
- Demonstrated ability to set up monitoring & evaluation systems in large complex programmes.
- Demonstrated ability to set up learning and development processes for a team
- Proven ability of mentoring and coaching.
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Excellent communication skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- A high level of written and spoken English
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SC.
- In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support