If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
Under the general guidance of the Education Specialist, P3, the Construction Officer shall provide high quality technical guidance on appropriate building technologies (especially in prefabricated structures, containers and all other structural works), good business practices and ensure projects meet the best interest of the local communities.
The Construction Officer will collaborate closely with colleagues from Programmes and Supply, will interact with stakeholders (Government and Donors) as well as with engineering companies and contractors and oversee the complete scope of work to be carried out with quality and timeliness, in line with UNICEF standards and procedures.
- Provide overall technical support and guidance to UNICEF construction projects (prefabricated schools, classroom containers, child-friendly spaces) during all phases, from planning to procurement, implementation, monitoring and quality reporting. This includes relocation of containers or prefabricated schools.
- Develop designs for WASH units and container classrooms in coordination with the engineering units of AFAD and MoNE, ensuring compliance with the national and UNICEF’s quality standards.
- Examine technical documents related to all construction/renovation projects supported by UNICEF for compliance with quality standards.
- Assess the needs and availability and suitability of locations for the establishment of new container classrooms or prefabricated schools and advise UNICEF and MoNE accordingly.
- Draft terms of reference, statement of works or technical specifications for any construction related tenders and provide inputs to contractual documents.
- Responsible to ensure effective quality control systems are in place and contractors and engineering consultancy companies work in compliance with technical specifications and UNICEF quality standards.
- Monitor and follow up implementation/installation and construction of prefabricated structures (especially schools and containers) and other superstructure/infrastructure works and ensure the construction/installations are of standard quality as specified and implementation follows the work plan and budget.
- Review construction Contractor’s progress/completion reports, identify defects that require corrective measures and monitor the correction actions undertaken by contractors.
- Inspect and certify the completion of all required work from contractors in preparation for payments, i.e. substantial completion and/or final acceptance.
- Attend technical meeting with MoNE, AFAD, UNICEF and companies as required.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Education: University degree in Civil/Structural Engineering
Years of relevant experience
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience at national and/or international levels in the relevant field of civil engineering, especially in practical experience in prefabricated buildings development for emergency context
- Experience in working in complex environments and large infrastructure and/or superstructure civil works, particularly in the field of construction supervision;
- Experience in community mobilization/ community monitoring sites, coupled with the ability to address and manage all aspects of monitoring of a construction (legal aspects of positioning, procurement, law and knowledge of construction contracts, construction information technologies, and follow-up).
- Experience in managing and supervising medium to large-scale construction works
- Knowledge of procurement, tendering and contracting processes and requirements;
- Excellent and proven experience in dealing with contractors and background/familiarity with local partners (AFAD, MoNE, Municipalities, Local Authorities etc.)
- Working experience within the area of preparation, implementation and monitoring of technical/(re)construction projects; methodological and calculation skills;
- Experience in technical design of prefabricated structure is an asset;
- Working experience in UN or other international development organization and familiarity with emergency is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Turkish
- Fluency in Arabic, Farsi, Kurdish etc.is an asset.
Other: Willingness to travel within Turkey
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Working with people
- Drive for results
- Applying Technical Expertise
- Deciding and Initiating Actions
- Following Instructions and Procedures
- Leading and Supervising
- Planning and Organizing