Constructions and Infrastructure Director
World Vision, Bangladesh
Closing Date for Applications:
Oversee all construction projects, those include general constructions, site improvement, camp management, shelter programming and WASH construction. Act as Operations Director and provide Leadership whenever s/he is not on official duty.
- Develop and monitor implementation of Response strategy that addresses WV strategic goals and humanitarian standards to meet humanitarian needs.
- Define policies, guidelines and protocols for the shelter, construction and site management aspects of World Vision’s work in country.
- Maintain an overview of the country shelter programme, construction and site management of the response context, with a view to strategically lead sector leads in developing new projects in current sites and / or in surrounding response area.
- Give technical advice to sector leads, field manager on potential involvement in new shelter interventions, new infrastructures and internal shelter as well as construction capacity for implementation.
- Provide technical support to the shelter, construction and WASH teams in all project sites, including the evaluation and impact analysis of current projects and the writing of donor proposals and reports.
- Ensure programme planning is informed by technical standards & operational viability to meet humanitarian needs.
- Establish, resource and staff Operations unit to meet response needs.
- Be involved in the recruitment of shelter staff, providing advice on technical skills and experience.
- Ensure that all shelter staff are trained and, if necessary, create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching, within budget constraints. Plan and develop training material as required.
- Support line managers in inductions and appraisals of their staff, particularly for technical skills.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with humanitarian actors, government representatives and World Vision stakeholders.
- Develop a road map and maintain relationships with UN, NGOs, donors, partners and other stakeholders, with the objective of raising public awareness of World Vision and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Develop and plan the Response to achieve Response strategy goal and objectives.
- Conduct operational planning to ensure effective coordination & timely delivery of response activities.
- Implement & monitor programme to ensure achievement of response goals & objectives and in accordance with response commitments and to meet international and WV standards.
- Initiate resourcing mechanisms and ensure financial resources are managed according to WV standards, donor and SO agreements.
- Maintain an oversight of shelter and construction supplies ordered for the shelter and construction projects, supporting the construction and logistics staff in the coordination and quality control of construction supplies.
- Develop and implement operations reporting systems to support timely and accurate Response reporting and external reporting requirements are met.
- Ensure Response meets minimum quality standard and supports programme improvement, reflection, learning and innovation in sectors.
- Implement response operations according to safety standards with support from the Security function.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
- Develop and support implementation of community consultation and information provision mechanisms.
- Establish information management system within his/her department to meet response needs.
- Develop a mechanism to compile and analyse relevant information to inform response design, programme management, operational improvement and promote learning.
- Lead the preparation and sharing of reports to relevant stakeholders in coordination with communications.
- Lead the preparation and sharing of programme progress report to response management based on analysis of collected information/data.
- Coordinate with Support Services for provision of funds, staff, equipment, vehicles & supplies to ensure rapid program implementation.
- Provide input to Supply chain to expedite procurement process in related to construction materials and supplies.
- Keen to support Supply chain manager to oversee the importing materials and customs clearance.
- Identify, report & refer operational blockages caused by external actors to Liaison to be addressed through advocacy.
- Participate at networks or task groups on specific shelter and construction related humanitarian aid issues and actively.
- Accompany donors on field trips, and ensure programme details are transmitted on time.
- Represent World Vision, at coordination, sector and bilateral meetings, working groups, with national and / or local government departments and any other relevant meetings or events, facilitating supportive synergies and overall progress in the shelter sector.
- Maintain a resource library for the construction team and keep up-to-date with the latest trends and updates within the sector. Ensure all shelter staff have access to necessary and appropriate information.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Must have at least a Bachelor or Master’s degree in relevant field.
- At least 5 years of practical experience in humanitarian related work.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership, people management, coaching, mentoring, and team building skills.
- Strong problem identification, analytical and solving skills.
- Strong competency in proposal & report writing, monitoring and budgeting skills.
- Experience working with communities and local governments, INGOs, donors and other key internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to meet strict deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members in a cross-cultural environment.
- Demonstrates cross-cultural sensitivity, flexible worldview, emotional maturity and physical stamina. Ability to exhibit exemplary lifestyle as interpreted in specific local cultural context.
- Ability to live and work in difficult remote areas and travel extensively.
- Ability to maintain performance despite intense workload and work pace.
- Committed to World Vision Core Values and Mission Statement.
- Knowledge of and adherence to the Red Cross and NGO Code of Conduct.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Computer skills.
- Working knowledge of programs/projects cycle management.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with all staff and other key partners.
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- Financial and program management skills.
- Human Resource skills.