Consultancy – Enhancing the Capacity of Elections Cameroon (ELECAM)
The Commonwealth Secretariat, Home Based, Cameroon
Closing Date for Applications:
- The objective of this project is to identify the capacity needs of ELECAM with the aim of strengthening ELECAM and improving elections in Cameroon in line with Commonwealth observer reports and international best practices.
- More broadly, the project aims to advance the Secretariat’s approach of taking a more holistic and long-term view to election observation with a focus on the entire electoral cycle (pre-election, election-day and post-election).
- Participation in a one-week scoping mission to Cameroon.
- Preparation and submission of a report which narrows down and prioritises ELECAM’s assistance request, highlighting areas where the Commonwealth Secretariat can assist within its comparative advantage and a corresponding implementation strategy.
Qualifications and experience
- Knowledge and expertise in democratic governance, electoral process and democratisation.
- Postgraduate degree in social sciences/humanities such as political science, public administration, law, development studies, or other related field or relevant disciplines.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in research and policy development at national, regional and wider levels.
- Substantive experience in working with Election Management Bodies.
- In-depth knowledge of electoral frameworks in developing country contexts, and Africa in particular.
- Knowledge of international normative frameworks on politics and inclusive democracy.
- Substantive experience in developing high-level research and working with international project teams. High-level communication and facilitation skills, especially for engaging with stakeholders.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Experience of producing high quality reports and analytical documents.
- Fluency in both English and French.
- Demonstrated understanding of the Commonwealth’s fundamental values and principles as outlined in the Commonwealth Charter.
- Respect for diversity and intercultural understanding.
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
- Promotes enabling environment for open communication.
- Solid political acumen.
- Ability to work independently and produce high quality outputs in a timely manner, while understanding and anticipating evolving needs