UNICEF the United Nations Childrens Fund is one of the worlds most trusted and respected organisations and the leading organisation for children.
Digital media, especially social platforms, are changing the ways people interact, giving rise to new and diverse audiences and empowering civil society in ways that have profound implications for UNICEFs work and for how communication and public advocacy are used to support that work. To drive change for children, UNICEF Sri Lanka is growing its digital and social media capacity to target, reach and engage meaningfully with audiences across multiple digital platforms.
We are seeking an exceptional Digital and Social Media Consultant to help spearhead UNICEF Sri Lankas continued growth on social media, and reach the bold targets set by the organisation. The Digital and Social Media Consultant will have the proven professional skills to manage UNICEF Sri Lankas social and digital media channels, create engaging and innovative content for all channels, will be up to date and passionate about the latest technologies, techniques and industry best practices, and will be able to apply them to reach a broad range of audiences.
Already UNICEF Sri Lanka has experienced strong growth across all social media channels in the past 12 months, and has a combined audience on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube) of over 300,000 individuals. In addition, 2018 will see UNICEF Sri Lanka launch a new and improved website. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to help drive the digital presence of a world-renowned brand, and will ensure UNICEF Sri Lanka continues to increase our digital reach, facilitates increased engagement and participation from audiences, as well as ensuring our audiences have a greater understanding, and deeper connections on critical priority issues.
How can you make a difference for every child,
Under the supervision of the Communication Specialist within the Communication Advocacy and Partnership Unit, the consultant will be responsible for planning, managing, marketing and monitoring content on UNICEF Sri Lankas digital and social media channels (website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube etc.) with the objectives of:
- Ensuring UNICEF Sri Lanka expands its voice, reach and engagement across all social and digital channels in line with UNICEFs digital objectives
- Ensure UNICEF Sri Lanka uses industry best practice (global and local) to engage followers in a dynamic, interactive and meaningful way.
- Identifies and engages with digitally active individuals and groups/ associations within Sri Lanka.
- Ensuring UNICEF Sri Lanka Social and Digital Media Channels are regularly updated with engaging and relevant content that generates engagement and action.
The consultant will also have the opportunity to make recommendations regarding the use of current and future social media channels.
Activities and Tasks:
In coordination with the Communication Specialist,
- Work on a digital plan/s for the Country Office which will integrate the different digital platforms with a view to bolster advocacy goals in priority issues targeting different audiences.
- Implement a content editorial calendar to manage content and plan specific, timely campaigns.
- Research, create and manage relevant, high-quality, creative and engaging content on key issues for the different digital platforms this may include in-country travel as required. Further, the consultant will turn technical content into general public and social media-friendly language to increase engagement from various sets of audiences. The content must be reviewed/approved by relevant sections and Communication staff.
- Monitor, listen and respond to followers in a dynamic and interactive way while cultivating meaningful engagement.
- Create a regular publishing schedule.
- Adapt UNICEF global content to the make relevant and suitable for the Sri Lanka context
- Media buying: Design, create and manage promotions and social ad campaigns, including media buying plans for social media as required.
- Take the initiative to regularly update the Country Office online platform designs.
- Measure and analyse the impact of the country offices online platforms and social networks and make monthly (or more often if needed) reports.
- Monitor trends in social media tools and tactics, applications, audiences, emerging trends and strategy especially in Sri Lanka/ South Asia. Assess and report risks and threats to appropriate management.
- Identify, develop and expand a community of key digital influencers and digitally active stakeholders who can help us in our digital outreach efforts.
- Keep track of initiatives by relevant organizations and agencies that may be relevant to our work.
- Provide general assistance to the Communications Section including managing and working with relevant suppliers
- Provide technical advice and capacity building to stakeholders and UNICEF staff as required
Based within the UNICEF Sri Lanka Commination, Advocacy and Partnership Unit, the post will report into the Communication Specialist, and will work closely with the Communication Officer, Resource Mobilisation Officer and Communication Assistant. As required, the consultant will also work in coordination with the County Offices relevant programme sections, communication personnel in HQ, other Country Offices and Regional Offices, communication consultants, and also external partners with relation to social and digital media.
qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- Academic qualifications and required level of education;
- Bachelors Degree in Digital Media, Communication, Marketing, Public Relations, Advertising, Journalism, creative writing or related fields.
Years of experience: At least two -three years of extensive experience running social-media platforms to achieve organizational goals and objectives for a brand, business or relevant organisation (including NGOs)
- Displays in-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.), their respective participants and how each platform can be deployed in different scenarios.
- Proficient in content strategy, development and editing.
- Proven knowledge and experience of producing and planning content for social media channels to reach and engage broad audiences
- Must demonstrate excellent writing skills especially for digital platforms.
- Maintains a working knowledge of SEO, Google Analytics, social media analytical tools and management platforms like Hootsuite, etc.
- Displays ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in both written and verbal format.
- Proficiency in graphic design, infographics, photo editing and video editing is an asset.
- High ethical standards and understanding of sensitivities relating to children is highly desirable.
- Both a team player and an individual contributor.
- Fluency in English (written and oral) is required, along with fluency in either Sinhala (written and oral), or Tamil (written and oral).
- Duration of the consultancy: 11 months
- Qualified candidates are requested to submit a resume, cover letter and other relevant documents through the UNICEF e-Recruitment system
- Interested consultants should indicate ability, availability and all-inclusive fee rate (Daily/ Monthly fee- including lump sum travel and subsistence costs, as applicable) for expected deliverables to undertake the terms of reference.
For every Child, you demonstrate:
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.