The Consultant will work under the supervision of the Chief, Child Protection, P-4; and in close coordination with the Technical Advisory Group established by Ministry of Justice and UNICEF for the child justice study and further agreed to be reinforced for the finalization of the National Strategy on Child Justice in Liberia.
Purpose of Assignment:
Following the validation and the completion of the study of the child justice system in Liberia, a situation analysis on the current landscape situation of the child justice system became evident with strengths, weaknesses as well as key areas of improvement being identified. Added to the Child Justice Study this is further being articulated through the draft National Child Justice Strategy in Liberia (2020-2024).
Given this backdrop, the overall objective of this assignment is to assist the Child Protection Programme to implement key action points and recommendations deriving from this landmark study and the draft National Child Justice Strategy in Liberia (2020-2024) for i: children in conflict with the law; and ii: child victims and witnesses in Liberia.
The study and the draft National Strategy (which was drafted through a drafting workshop in December 2019) had highlighted the following three areas that requires priority attention for improvement:
- Strengthening the organizational framework for children in contact with the law through updating of SOPs and guidelines in line with national and international standards;
- Strengthening institutional capacity of relevant justice and security professionals in ensuring access to justice for children in contact with the law;
- Re-modeling the diversion/restorative justice programme, for children in conflict with the law, led by the Child Justice Section, including a component for children subject to suspended sentence;
Under the supervision of the Chief, Child Protection, the international consultant will be work with the following relevant justice and security sectors:
Child Justice Section; SGBV Crimes Unit, Prosecution Office, Human Rights Unit, and Probation Service, of Ministry of Justice; MoGCSP, Women and Child Protection Section and the Police Academy of the Liberian National Police, (Judicial Training Institute) with also an aim to provide capacity building and capacity transfer to the national entities.
Basic Objectives of the Consultancy/Contractor (assignment):
Overall Objective: Provide technical expertise in improving the child justice system, to be more child friendly and gender sensitive in line with international standards.
This will be achieved through the following sub-objectives:
- To support the finalization and adoption of the National Child Justice Strategy in Liberia
- To strengthen organization framework for children in conflict with the law amongst relevant justice and security professionals through the update and revision of the Juvenile Justice SOPs/guidelines
- To strengthen institutional capacity of relevant justice and security professionals and intersectoral collaboration through development of training modules on child justice (i. interdisciplinary training on juvenile justice; ii: interdisciplinary training on child victims/witnesses of SGBV; iii: review/update on LNP Police Training manual), TOT and its roll out
- Re-modelling the current diversion programme, inclusive of suspended sentences, and restorative justice
- To propose legislative amendments in line with international child justice standards
Targets/Deliverables of the Assignment:
- Finalized and Endorsed National Strategy on Child Justice.
- Development of a Child Justice Training Module in Liberia.
- Conducting a TOT of the Child Justice Training Module in Liberia.
- Drafting of an interdisciplinary SOP on Juvenile Justice in Liberia for all relevant justice and security professionals and social workers.
- Drafting of an interdisciplinary training module on juvenile justice in Liberia.
- Conducting a TOT of the training module on juvenile justice in Liberia.
- Re-modelling of the diversion programme in Liberia.
- Drafting of an interdisciplinary training module with a specific focus on child victims/witnesses of SGBV ‘Journey of the Child Victim’.
- Roll out of the ‘Journey of the Child Victim’ in selected EU Spotlight Counties.
- Update of the Child and Gender sensitive policing training of the LNP including WACPs and other police officers.
Qualification or Specialized Knowledge/Experience/Expertise required for the Assignment:
The successful contractor is required to meet the following criteria:
- Education: Advanced University degree (Master/PG) or preferably a Ph.D in a relevant field of study (Degree in law with a focus on juvenile justice) with more than 10 years of relevant experience.
- Professional/Technical experience – 10-15 years of international consultancy experiences on justice for children, juvenile justice and child protection with UNICEF, governments etc conducting studies, assessment, needs assessments, technical support on legislative reform, juvenile justice programmes (preferably diversion programmes) and development and delivery of training modules for justice and security professionals
- Relevant work experience: Solid work experience i the area of child protection, in particular justice for children with engagement with justice professionals, academia, governments and UNICEF with demonstrated ability to facilitate workshops, conduct field work with demonstrated ability for logical and analytical writing for drafting reports, assessments, trainings modules, including revision of legislations.
- Knowledge of: In-depth knowledge of international law and domestic legislation around justice for children;
- Language skills required: Fluency in English (oral and written), knowledge of other languages is an asset;
- Ability to work with legal experts and in a diverse environment and produce high quality work including in a team environment, within deadlines and under pressure;
- Other attributes essential for the assignment: Facilitation and leadership skills, computer proficiency including Internet and Microsoft Office and ability to work independently;
- This application is also open to individuals.