Established in 1944, the World Bank Group (WBG) is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries. It uses its financial resources and extensive experience to help client countries reduce poverty, increase economic growth, and improve quality of life. It is governed by 189 member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with over 16,000 staff globally.
World Bank Group Finance and Accounting (WFA) is one of the vice presidencies in the WBG and is responsible for financial reporting and internal control framework for the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC) and the Trust Fund/Partnership portfolio of those entities.
WFA in the Bank comprises the following functions: Financial Instruments Accounting and Valuation; Loan and Trust Fund Operations; Accounting Business Services; Financial Reporting; Accounting Policy; Documentation and Communication; Advisory Services; and Operational Risks and Controls. These units collectively include approximately 450 staff, of which 100 are in Washington, D.C. with the remainder in regional offices including the largest in Chennai, India.
The WFA Systems and Transformation Division was created to provide project management and automation support to WFA business operations, as well to provide consistent support to each WFA department for the identification and implementation of transformative initiatives (e.g., Lean Six Sigma, Robotics and project management). These initiatives are intended to increase productivity and efficiencies in work program delivery, while maintaining continuity in current WFA business operations.
The WFA Systems and Transformation (WFAST) Division is seeking a Technical team lead for the World Bank Robotics Program (Robotics Process Automation or RPA) provide input to strategic and tactical support to the Program Manager of the WBG Robotics program and manage a centralized team of RPA bot configurers. The RPA Team Lead will help architect the technical program components of the RPA program including
- Assessment Framework (define tactical criteria to screen suitability of RPA to solve for proposed use cases),
- determine the staffing strategy for Bot Configurers (Balancing hiring/use of RPA technical experts vs. seconding/training business bot configurers),
- helping provide input into the Prioritization framework (to enable prioritization the assignment of RPA bot configurers to high impact (ROI) use cases, provide to ensure optimal use of technology suite including ORC, RPA machine learning to scale the RPA program in the successful delivery of the work program and to represent the Manager on relevant issues as needed, and
- manage the team of Bot configurers to ensure scalability of the RPA program. The RPA Team lead will be based in Chennai, India report directly to the Program Manager for RPA and administratively to the WFA Manager for Chennai.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The successful candidate will be responsible for proactively advising and working closely with the RPA Program manager on resource management, strategy, performance metrics, reporting, knowledge sharing/training programs, and setting up/maintaining weekly and monthly transparency mechanism with WFA Management (WFA Managers) and Leadership (WFA Directors). The successful candidate is expected to independently undertake and deliver on specific substantive pieces of work in coordination with the relevant teams in the WBG Finance & Accounting Vice Presidency and across the World Bank Group.
Technical Program Management:
- Leading the technical program delivery for Cross-VPU and VPU-wide initiatives such as the Robotics Process Automation-RPA initiative and the planned SAP S4 Hana Upgrade, ensuring that project management discipline and tools are used to ensure scalability and prompt delivery of the RPA use case pipeline. This requires the team lead to define clear roles/responsibilities of bot configurers vs. RPA technology expert(s) and business Subject Matter Experts (SME) or process owners, clarify with our partners in the Information and Technology Vice Presidency (ITS) on roles and responsibilities for technical escalations with accompanying Service level agreements (SLA), run and restructure, if necessary, the RPA Control room--working with ITS to define and agree on SLAs for ITS to define and track deliverables/deadlines, build flag/escalate risk and develop mitigation plans ensuring that RPA pipeline and Use case completion status is communicated on weekly basis to RPA Program Manager, WFAST Manager and WFATL Director.
- Tools: Develop and execute technical strategy to leverage technical suite of tools (including OCR, RPA, Machine learning) to optimally scale the RPA bot configuration capability.
- Staffing/Supervision: Develop and execute staffing strategy for bot configurers—ensuring the right complement of technical RPA experts vs. “regular” bot configurers vs. business SMEs. Request appropriate staffing, monitor ability of technical staff to execute and hold bot configuration team accountable for execution of pipeline, managing performance of technical configuration team on the ground.
- Manage ITS SLA: Develop collaborative working relationship with ITS to ensure agreement on ITS SLAs that are timely and met. Escalate to RPA Program manager, WFAST Manager and WFATL Director in case of bottleneck. Ensure transparency with WFA Chennai Manager.
- Assessment Framework: Drive technical delivery of use cases to completion by revising Assessment framework to evaluate and screen suitability of proposed use cases. Responsible for working with RPA program manager to socialize the Assessment framework to all client Stakeholders in WFA and other VPUs.
- Deliver Workprogram Translate high level plans to tactical workplans, work with RPA Program manager to prioritize and assign resources to automate use cases by order of Priority. Responsible for use case pipeline management and execution.
- Reporting/Transparency: Construct and execute weekly updates on Use Case Pipeline, status and execution by priority to RPA Program manager, WFA Chennai Manager, WFAST Manager and WFATL Director. Develop online dashboard that reflects status. Outline critical roadblocks, resource requirements and critical requirements needed from management to accelerate use case completion. Participate in Monthly or quarterly Steering Committee meetings with stakeholders.
Other Duties and Accountabilities:
- Support the WFAST Manager in developing strategies and tools to support the integration and thereby effectiveness of the WFAST division.
- Ensure appropriate follow through on actions, decisions and commitments made by the WFAST’s Manager, by working with the parties responsible for implementation.
- Participate in efforts to design, update and implement the WFA Systems and Transformation’ strategy, business planning, budget formulation, organization and strategic staffing.
- Propose plans and strategies that focus on WFA' long term objectives, taking an enterprise-wide focus.
- Coach/mentor staff on formal Project management processes and tools to raise the bench strength of the Division on project management.
- Advanced degree in finance, accounting or Information Technology with a minimum of 8 years relevant work experience or a combination of education and experience
- Highly organized, process-driven, professionally trained Project Manager
- Successful track record of achieving high quality results, managing programs and delivering client value-added services to meet team objectives.
- Ability to conceptualize, design and implement innovative solutions and challenge the status quo.
- Proven expertise and track record in identification, application of different intelligent automation tools including Optical Character recognition (OCR), Robotics, Machine Learning and Artificial intelligence.
- Ability to assist or lead the development of business cases, including Return On Investment (ROI) and other financial analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complexity, to identify interdependencies, and take a corporate view.
- Demonstrated experience in building and leading technical teams, including managing, motivating staff across different locations, multi-cultural backgrounds and serving multi-disciplinary stakeholders.
- Proven experience in change management and demonstrated ability to manage senior internal stake holders.
- Proven ability to leverage strong relationships cutting across functions and WBG towards achievement of collective goals
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills and ability to convey complex issues concisely to senior management, colleagues and clients.
- Strong listening skills and ability to gain understanding of partner needs and challenges.
- Experience with the design and implementation of learning strategies and programs and sound understanding of knowledge management is a plus.
- High level of integrity, tact and discretion.
- Familiarity with the World Bank's IT systems landscape is highly desirable.
WBG Core Competencies
- Deliver Results for Clients - Achieves results and identifies mission-driven solutions.
- Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries - Initiates collaboration across boundaries and broadly across WBG, and brings differing ideas into the forefront.
- Lead and Innovate - Develops innovative solutions with others.
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge - Creates, applies and shares knowledge from across WBG to strengthen internal and/or external client solutions.
- Make Smart Decisions - Recommends and takes decisive action.
- Project Management: Understands and utilizes the concepts of project management, as they relate to the implementation of a project.
- Analytical Thinking: Coordinates the information gathering and reporting process. Reviews trends and compares to expectations. Conducts analysis to define problems and prepares responses to anticipated questions.
- Policies and Procedures: Demonstrate thorough knowledge of policies and procedures in related fields.
- Risks and Controls: Leads by example and serves as best practice champion in completing internal control procedures, including understanding impact beyond own immediate functional areas.
- Information Technology and Systems: Leverages information technology systems and applications to improve productivity and efficiency. Provides inputs to IT system enhancement efforts based on day to day working experience and knowledge of the systems.
- Communication: Adapts the communication style appropriate for the intended audience. Adopts an inclusive approach to communication as is appropriate to the situation, so as to ensure adequate stakeholder participation. Presents information effectively and encourage feedback.
- Client Understanding and Advising: Looks at issues from the client’s perspective and advocates for clients within own area as well as urges others to focus on meeting client needs. Works with others across the WFA to define client needs and develops the best approach to meet client needs.
- Broad Business Thinking: Maintains an in-depth understanding of the long-term implications of decisions both for related areas within the WFA and the client’s business.