Consultant - Application and Integration Architect
World Food Programme, Rome, Italy
Closing Date for Applications:
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill a consultancy position of Application and Integration Architect based at our Headquarters in Rome, Italy.
Under the general supervision of the Chief of Digital Architecture (TECA) the incumbent will be responsible for the following functions:
- Oversee roadmaps and strategic evolution of WFP core technologies and platforms, including the SAP ERP, the business intelligence platforms, and the integration middleware.
- Provide expert advice on the selection, adoption, and evolution of system integration technologies.
- Recommend opportunities and modalities of adoption of cloud based architectures, leading proof-of-concepts and supporting the implementation by the solution delivery and maintenance branches.
- Recommend and communicate best practices and architectural patterns for solution development and integration.
- Provide expert advice for product/technology selections and acquisitions.
- Advise on state-of-the-art data acquisition, integration, and storage technologies.
- Convene and coordinate subject matter experts from different IT branches to collaboratively define solutions and technologies to be adopted.
- Identify, select and oversee external experts from partners and vendors, to perform specific specialized tasks and advisory roles.
- Review and validate architectural designs and proposals submitted by internal and/or external solution architects.
Qualifications & Experience Required
- Masters’ degree in Information Science, Computer Engineering or related field
- Professional certifications in software-development related disciplines.
- Architecture framework certifications, preferably TOGAF.
- A minimum of 10 years of work experience with growing technical responsibilities in system integration, complex systems design, and IT software development, adopting different programming languages, frameworks, and technologies.
- Desirable: international work experience.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- Ability to clearly communicate architectural recommendations, explaining the benefits and rationale also to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to write technical documentation, guidelines, and recommendations.
- Ability to create clear architectural diagrams and visuals.
- Problem solving skills and sensitivity to team environment dynamics, with the ability to contribute expertise and follow leadership directives at appropriate times.
- Familiarity with solution development lifecycle and agile software development in particular.
- Experience in designing and implementing Service Oriented Architectures, preferably with the adoption of a cloud-based microservices approach.
- Experience with solution architecture assessments and re-factoring recommendations to meet software quality standards.
- Good familiarity with modern IT Security concepts, technologies and architectural patterns.
Language: Fluency in oral and written English is essential. Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is desirable.