Consultant on Asia-Pacific SDG Partnership data portal
United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, Bangkok, Thailand
Closing Date for Applications:
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Sustainable Development Goals are a complex and ambitious framework for transformative change. ESCAP is supporting monitoring, review and follow up on the Sustainable Development Goals through its work on statistical capacity building, knowledge products such as the annual Asia and the Pacific SDG Progress Report, a dedicated data portal on the Goals, close engagement of the Asia-Pacific Regional Coordination Mechanism as an inter-agency coordination mechanism for the United Nations system at the regional level, and a partnership between ESCAP, ADB and UNDP—known as the Asia-Pacific SDGs Partnership—that will, over the next 15 years, produce high-quality knowledge products to support follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- The global mechanism to compile data for the 232 SDG unique indicators is structured around identified SDG indicators custodian agencies (United Nations specialized agencies and funds, international agencies involved in the production of statistics) collecting data from countries (national statistical offices, line ministries, and other national entities. SDG custodian agencies are also responsible for harmonizing data collected from the national with international statistical standards and methodologies to ensure comparability across countries and over time. Under the global monitoring process, the United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD) is responsible for collecting SDG indicators data from custodian agencies.
- The above data collection process follows an annual cycle with the global SDG indicators database being updated annually, typically around mid-year. ESCAP itself use the global SDG indicator database as well as online statistical databases from SDG custodian agencies to maintain and update its core statistical database. The ESCAP statistical database provides a regional perspective by adding regional aggregates for ESCAP geographical subregions and relevant country groupings and is used as primary statistical data sources for a number of knowledge products produced by ESCAP. The regional database also constitutes the underlying data source for the Asia-Pacific SDG Partnership data portal developed as part of the ESCAP/ADB/UNDP regional SDG partnership.
- The consultant will be tasked with supporting the update of the ESCAP database with data from the global SDG database and improving the underlying systems.
- Understanding of official international statistics; Knowledge of information systems (MS Excel, MS Access and SQL database; R development environment, data visualization)
- Experience in statistical data management; including development using R.
- Experience in data visualization using D3, Tableau or other related technologies is an advantage.