If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization we would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Outreach to mass media. Guided by the Global Communication and Public Advocacy Strategy, ensure children’s rights are in the public domain through the conceptualization, planning, execution, monitoring and evaluation of a media strategy on key UNICEF issues. Seek partnerships with journalists and media organizations to foster discussion on children’s issues. Support in the crafting of statements, press releases, advocacy materials, key messages and other communication products for use in external communication activities.
- Creative communication and coordination with programmes: Generates creative ideas for execution through digital media and develop concepts in partnership with the national mass media. Liaise with the programme sections to support Communication work planning and integration of programme and advocacy priorities in communication work plan and activities.
- Digital and social media. Guided by the Global Communication and Public Advocacy Strategy, lead the implementation of UNICEF Philippines’ digital external communication strategy to engage the public in support of UNICEF’s advocacies. Ensure website and social media accounts are updated with timely and relevant content. Grow fans and supporters and reach out to children and young people online.
- Celebrities and influencers. Support the High Profile Supporters programme to engage celebrities and influencers in support of UNICEF’s advocacy and fundraising targets. Facilitate celebrities’ field visits, empower them to advocate for timely children’s issues and support their fundraising initiatives.
- Emergencies. Development and updating of the Emergency Communication Plan. oordinate communication activities during emergencies, assist in advocacy efforts in support of affected populations and ensure documentation of UNICEF’s assistance.
- Press releases
- Internal and external Q&As
- Talking points
- Media events and campaigns are supported
Programme communication and advocacy materials as needed:
- Social media messages/deck developed for respective campaigns, advocacy and programmes
- Social media accounts engagement periodically monitored
- Website content updated with news, press releases, human interest stories
- Celebrity work plans and visits are coordinated between Communications Section and implemented with PFP
- Public messaging of GWAs are consistent with UNICEF’s advocacy
- Supporting information are provided to GWAs, e.g. key messages, talking points, background materials on the issue, etc.
- Field visits are coordinated and implemented
- Emergency Communications Plan is updated
- Activities during emergencies are well coordinated
- Advocacy messaging is developed and consistent
- Press release and media outreach done
- Stories, photos, videos, social media posts, press releases, statements are produced to document UNICEF’s presence in the emergency
Qualifications and Competencies of Successful Consultant:
- Advanced university degree in law, social and behavioral science, communication and advocacy.
- At least 5 years’ increasingly senior level experience working particularly in public advocacy, partnership preferably in social development area.
- Seasoned and recognized professional in his or her field of expertise – public advocacy. Proven track record in developing practical strategy and compelling and innovative approach to draw attention. In-depth knowledge and understanding of advocacy environment, what works and how.
- Strong understanding and knowledge applicable to improvement of digital media in a highly competitive landscape.
- Strong network and ability to reach out to key actors and influencers to build communication alliance for UNICEF. Thorough understanding of creative and advance level use of traditional and new media for advancing public advocacy agenda.
- Experience in developing baseline, scientifically monitoring and measuring communication and advocacy interventions.
- Previous UNICEF, UN and/or INGO experience in a similar role is an asset.