Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
This consultancy encompasses the following three interrelated activities:
• Produce background papers for three regional symposiums on promotion of regulatory harmonization of recruitment intermediaries.
• Take detailed analytical notes at the symposiums.
• Produce a synthesis report based on the analytical notes.
• The synthesis report shall include actionable recommendations to promote regulatory harmonization in the CPMS.
• Production of background papers for three regional symposiums
Three full-day symposiums will be organized by bringing both the CPMS and COD officials to the discussion table with thematic inputs from experts. Objectives of the three symposiums are
envisaged as follows:
• To identify existing regulatory gaps and differences among the CPMS and between the CPMS and CODs vis-à-vis global standards
• To build consensus on the need for collaborative actions for promoting regulatory harmonization among the CPMS and between the CPMS and CODs
• To explore ways to promote regulatory harmonization
• To identify and agree on priority collaborative actions to be pursued among the CPMS and between the CPMS and CODs
• To launch a synthesis report and present actionable recommendations
• To discuss and identify the CPMS (and CODs) who are interested in being part of the follow-up initiatives to adopt to implement the recommendations
• The consultant shall produce background papers for each symposium, which will include thematic papers to brief the participants on key issues in regulatory harmonization and global
standards and also guidance notes for a facilitator to steer the discussions in line with the symposium objectives.
• Production of detailed analytical notes during the symposiums
• The consultant shall attend each symposium and take detailed analytical notes, which will form the basis of a synthesis report to be developed after the end of the 2nd symposium.
• Production of a synthesis report based on the analytical notes
• A synthesis report shall be based on key discussion points and inputs generated through the first two symposiums and shall include actionable recommendations to promote regulatory
harmonization among the CPMS and between the CPMS and CODs.
• It should be drafted in due reference to global standards and best practices as well as through carefully examining the recommendations from the IOM-commissioned regional study.
• At the 3rd symposium, the consultant shall present key points and actionable recommendations from the synthesis report and participate in discussions for identifying the CPMS (and CODs)
who are interested in being part of the follow-up initiatives to adopt to implement the recommendations.
• Master’s degree in Law, Public Policies, migration studuies or related field with 5 years of professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with 7 years of relevant professional experience
• Experience in research and analyses on international labour migration laws, foreign employment policies, or immigration/ emigration policies, preferably in West, South and South-East Asia and GCC
• Experience in qualitative research;
• In-depth knowledge of migration issues specifically on the issues of regulatory framework on international labour recruitment, recruitment monitoring, and global and regional initiatives in
• Strong thematic knowledge and ability to deliver quality products consistently throughout the consultancy duration.
• Demonstrated ability to analyze complex issues by taking into account the situations of multiple countries and synthesize the analysis with concrete recommendations in writing.
• Excellent organizational skills and punctuality of the submission of the deliverables.
• Flexible to accommodate certain changes to the timeline and methodology and responsive to changes as part of the review and feedback process.
• Fluency in English is required.