The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. We are seeking to fill a Learning and Development Specialist position based at our Headquarters in Rome, Italy.
WFP’s greatest strength is its dedicated people working tirelessly around the world to reduce hunger. The global context in which WFP operates is rapidly changing which means that the need for equipping our people with the relevant, required capabilities to enable WFP to meet its vision of zero hunger has never been so crucial.
Our team, the Performance Strengthening and Capability Development branch within the Human Resources Division, is currently recruiting for a Learning and Development specialist (for an initial eleven  months, but subject to possible extension) to contribute to WFP’s Learning transformation. The branch has embarked on an ambitious agenda, including the creation of a comprehensive set of Functional learning paths and curricula to continue to build a wide range of technical skills e.g. Nutrition, Supply Chain, Emergency Preparedness and Response, Program, Monitoring and Evaluation, etc. The team has also recently launched an enhanced global learning platform with extensive functionality including social learning, blended learning, facilitator dashboard, mobile app, gamification, dedicated thematic learning “channels”.
This role will be responsible for developing and delivering world-class learning programs to ensure WFP’s global workforce is equipped with the required skill and capabilities to achieve its strategic objectives. The role is part of the central capability development team servicing a range of internal clients and stakeholders across the organization with targeted and bespoke learning solutions.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following functions:
- Partner with Functional areas and Country Offices to deliver world class learning solutions in line with Organizational and Functional learning strategies to meet a range of business needs – new strategic direction, developing curricula (incorporating Functional learning paths), performance gaps, new skill and capability requirements, change initiatives
- Advise and guide Functional partners in the development and/or review of their learning strategy
- Partner with Functional areas to design, develop and implement their Foundation and Specialized Learning paths
- Provide guidance and expertise to Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and Functional/Regional learning focal points on the development of learning solutions (e.g., Learning Needs Analyses, formulation of learning objectives and KPIs, identification and development of appropriate design and delivery mechanism to meet needs of target audience, guidance in development of programs, evaluation of learning outcomes and business impact
- Advise Functional/Regional subject matter experts on effective and efficiently creating blended learning solutions
- Assist Functional/Regional partners and stakeholders in procuring the services of external learning design and development vendors to do the detailed design and build of learning programs, performance support tools and other learning solutions
- Research, test and promote new learning technologies to improve the quality and effectiveness of any training initiatives (mobile learning, virtual reality, simulations, gamification, interactive videos, etc.) and to improve the learners’ experience
- Directly apply experience and contemporary theory of adult learning methodologies to guide the development process
- Develop on-the-job knowledge and experience in WFP’s global learning platform and functionality. Utilize this knowledge to leverage the technology to best effect in developing blended learning solutions
- Manage relationships with external vendors and support the Procurement team throughout the process of selection and contracting of new potential vendors
- Contribute to the development of learning standards, frameworks and toolkits that can be used across the organization by SMEs and learning focal points
- Liaise and support collaboration with other UN agencies for the development of similar training programs, joint vendor selection processes or sharing of learning and capacity development best practices
Qualifications & Experience Required
- Minimum of 7 years learning and development experience, including demonstrated design and delivery of blended and online learning solutions.
- Demonstrated experience in working across all phases of learning design and delivery.
- Demonstrated experience in working with subject matter experts to build learning programs and performance support tools, preferably across a range of different business areas.
- Experience in developing technical/Functional-level curricula (and/or learning paths) is considered a distinct advantage.
- Experience in leveraging learning technology and learning management systems in the design and delivery of learning programs.
- Experience in working with and managing relationships with external vendors who provide a range of learning design and delivery services.
- University degree in Learning and Development, Adult Education, Human Resources, Instructional Design, or related field;
- Advanced degree and postgraduate studies in the above fields an advantage
Knowledge & Skills:
- In-depth expertise and application of models of learning design / adult learning theory; learning needs analysis methodologies, learning evaluation methods.
- Strong stakeholder and client relationship skills. Ability to quickly build knowledge and understanding of stakeholder’s functional/organizational strategy and translate to learning requirements of employees.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects at the same time and accomplish tasks with follow-through to completion;
- Up to date knowledge of the latest trends in learning design, delivery and learning technology.
- Experience with online authoring tools (ex. Captivate, Articulate Storyline, Camtasia, etc.) and other learning technology tools.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to collaborate and influence internally with various stakeholders and subject matter experts across business functions, levels and geographical areas.
- Strong creative problems solving skills; agile, flexible and patient; ability to work with ambiguity, constructive approach to overcoming challenges and build consensus across diverse and global teams.
- Fluency in oral and written English is essential. Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is desirable.
Language: Fluency in oral and written English is essential. Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is desirable.