BACKGROUND / RATIONALE:
SPME section has a FT post of M& E officer. Currently this post has fallen vacant as the incumbent resigned suddenly due to personal reasons. SPME is current engaged in several data, SDG reporting and social protection related projects that requires urgent support of an M&E officer. In absence, these projects would be delayed and that would entail slippages on the commitment made to Govt. and partners.
PURPOSE OF ASSIGNMENT:
The consultant is accountable for the accomplishment of the stated key end-results by providing professional expertise and assistance in information/data collection, statistics and data analysis, monitoring & evaluation (M&E), preparation of reports, communication and partnership, and in implementing training programmes for national and sub-national data collection, monitoring and evaluation.
UNICEF is committed to supporting Government of India at central and state level in working towards improving data system in a manner to bridge the gaps in data and evidences for reporting on programme implementation, SDG reporting and development of thematic and overall situation analysis.
The purpose of the assignment will be to have a strong technical expert to generate evidence for strengthening implementation of programmes, business process assessment of MIS systems, integration of admin data systems, data validation and for generating equity focused situation analysis.
MAJOR TASKS TO BE ACCOMPLISHED:
- provide technical assistance for planning and establishing the major research, monitoring and evaluation activities;
- Support management of available information on national statistics and key indicators through established databases for easy access and use. Prepare country level statistical reports on the status of children and women and provide technical support to global reporting obligations including national reports on progress toward the SDGs; MPI analysis;
- Keep monitoring the situation of children’s and women’s rights with national partners and keep updated on issues and challenges affecting children and their families.
- Coordinate with the programme sections and partners and provide assistance in updating information in, inter alia, Situation Analysis, Annual Reviews, Mid-Term Reviews, and Annual Reports or other progress reports.
- Provide technical support to ensure that monitoring systems are in place and quality information are available from these MIS systems; this might entail, improving admin system data available from existing MIS or by integrating with relevant systems;
- Provide technical support in data validation as required from SPME or any other section within UNICEF, data collection and compilation of thematic reports and technical notes on SDG or any other subject matter relevant for UNICEF data evidences;
- Support in planning, designing, implementation of sample surveys including MICS and coordination for supporting census 2021 activities;
- Support and coordinate with state UNICEF offices on matters as enumerated above;
QUALIFICATIONS/SPECIALIZED,KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE/COMPETENCIES (CORE/TECHNICAL/FUNCTIONAL)/LANGUAGE SKILLS REQUIRED FOR THE ASSIGNMENT (Please use as applicable):
- Advanced degree Post Graduate degree in statistics, demography or population studies;
- Field work experience is preferable.
- At least 2-3 years of practical experience in working with statistical packages like STATA/SPSS is an asset.
- Atleast 2-3 experience in social sciences, planning monitoring and evaluation of programmes, evaluation, survey implementation, advanced statistical research.
- Over 2-3 years of experience in undertaking research and providing advisory support in policy dialogues with high-level decision-makers in the Government.
- A least 2 (two) years of practical experience in survey design and implementation would be added advantage.
- Good listening skills as well as written and communication skills in English.
- Excellent team work skills.