Consultant Researcher on Education Shire Refugee Camps
Danish Refugee Council, East Africa, Ethiopia
Closing Date for Applications:
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
- DRC seeks Consultant-Researcher from different FSPs to conduct research/assessment on Education in the respective Eritrean refugee camps. The consultancy will undertake research designed to better understand the scope, success, and impact of the of the DRC components of EIDDACCE and commitment to the Danish Embassy program as they relate to tertiary education. This includes the tutorial classes and DRC support for students transitioning to university. The goal is to better understand the impact of higher education (and the DRC-led tutorial classes, specifically) on the refugee population, their livelihood and dignity, and on onward movement more generally.
- To evaluate the DRC university preparatory classes, and include its findings in the final report.
- The evaluation should consider the nature of the classes, the teachers (their qualifications and lesson objectives), the information and resources available to the students, and the program's overall impact on a refugee's thinking about their future and onward/ irregular migration, and how these various factors fall in line with the original commitments made in the EIDDACE action program document regarding protection, livelihood and employment.
- To make recommendations based on findings and evaluation, as related to the scope of the consultancy. Specifically, this includes recommendations regarding the impact of education on Eritrean refugee thinking about onward irregular migration and their overall security and protection in Ethiopia.
- To help fulfill the EIDDACE mandate to write and “produce a report that evaluates the role of access to higher education as a transitional solution and relevant alternative to onward movement.
- Most generally to provide DRC and the larger humanitarian community with enough information to make informed changes and modifications to improve and expand its protection and support of Eritrean students including the university tutorial classes at the three refugee camps in the Shire area of Ethiopia and support for the students as they transition to university in Ethiopia.
- To identify any strengths, needs or concerns with the DRC-led programs in support of university for Eritrean refugees as a viable alternative to irregular onward migration and communicate those concerns in the report.
- Review and summarize the existing materials, including those from 2016 through 2019. These include student and tutor surveys, pilot project summaries and evaluations of the tutorial program and the transition to university.
- Conduct additional surveys and oral interviews as necessary, specifically to determine track and evaluate changes in attitudes, potential decision-making, and actions of its participants.
- To conduct the research in between November 1st – December 10th ,2019 and write & deliver the report by (4th December ,2019)
- To respond to concerns and questions related to the scope and nature of the report by the key manager and coordinator and liaison.
- To incorporate any revisions and updates as necessary to fulfill the consultancy.
- The Individual consultant will report to the Protection Programs Manager and Education Team Leader, who will serve as the focal points for all coordination and liaison related to this assignment by 10th of December 2019 COB.
Required Qualification and Experience
The Consultant-researcher to conduct assessment on Education is required the following criteria:
- The consultancy should have a thorough knowledge of working on Education, international non-governmental organizations, and /or Ethiopia’s Agency for Refugees and Returnees Affairs (ARRA), refugee camp life. It should also be able to incorporate an understanding of the Ethiopian education system, and its expansion efforts among refugees, especially Eritrean refugees.
- Renewed consultancy licensee
- Fluency in English and Tigrigna is (desirable)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skill
- MA or BA Degree in Education, Education in Emergencies, Migration, Law, humanities or relevant fields of study from recognized institution