Consultant: Social Media
United Nations Population Fund, New York, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
Positioning of UNFPA with new audiences, speaking with One Voice and further improving the Fund’s digital and social media communications are priorities and central components in the communications strategy of the organization. In this context, the Social Media Consultant will produce creative and compelling digital content which engages audiences in a dynamic, interactive and meaningful way and sparks conversations around issues related to UNFPA’s three transformative results:
- Ending preventable maternal death
- Ending unmet need for family planning
- Ending gender-based violence and harmful practices
The Social Media Consultant will be instrumental in growing and strengthening UNFPA’s social media activities, and maximizing the use and impact of leading social media platforms. The Social Media Consultant will ensure UNFPA’s ability to influence and lead on our key issues, by:
- Creating compelling social media content and new digital and social media initiatives, collaborations and campaigns in order to grow UNFPA’s digital community, engage new audiences and sustain existing followers;
- Interacting with new and existing audiences online and deepening engagement across all UNFPA social media platforms;
- Monitoring the use of social media by UNFPA staff members and analyze their compliance with the UNFPA social media policy and guidelines;
- Monitoring the use of social media by UNFPA Regional, Country and Liaison offices, and analyze their traffic and engagement, as well as their compliance with the UNFPA social media policy.
Major Activities/Expected Results
- Support the planning and delivery of digital and social media campaigns to attract the attention of policy makers, bloggers, academia, donors, influencers, young people, civil society, politicians and volunteers;
- Draft content and update the content calendar for UNFPA's social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn,Youtube and other relevant social media networks;
- Draft social media content for UNFPA web platforms and enter them into the corporate content management system;
- Schedule social media content in UNFPA’s Social Media Management System;
- Scan and monitor digital and social media sites and hashtags, identify opportunities for UNFPA on digital platforms of other organizations and help prepare draft and place tweets and posts; and respond to multiple messages and posts in the proper tone based on existing guidance;
- Support new and innovative social media partnerships in coordination with other UN agencies, relevant NGOs, constituencies, donors, online communities and development partners;
- Provide live coverage of events including by taking pictures and short videos and drafting messages for UNFPA social media channels;
- Monitor UNFPA’s social media channels, engage with community members and flag reputational risks or communication opportunities to the Social Media Team Lead and the Digital Communications Manager;
- Monitor and analyze UNFPA’s social media engagement using UNFPA’s social media management system for the global, regional and country office channels;
- Proactively liaise with colleagues in UNFPA Country/Regional/Liaison Offices and the relevant divisions at headquarters to generate new content and develop engaging social media content.
- Support efforts to ensure social media presence and branding are consistent and cohesive across all platforms;
- Identify strategic opportunities for content and digital partnerships to enhance UNFPA’s social media reach and engagement.
The expected outcomes:
- Enhanced organizational capacity to react fast and provide proactive social media outreach and placements to position UNFPA as a thought leader and project UNFPA’s name and mandate;
- Improved and enhanced visibility of UNFPA’s core issues, in particular the three transformative results on leading social media platforms and channels;
- Improved integration of social media messaging, assets and share cards in UNFPA.org;
- UNFPA well-positioned among other innovative partners and players using social media for development;
- Significant increase in UNFPA social media engagements, followers, likes and general audiences.
- Advanced university degree in communications, arts, marketing, international relations, public relations, journalism, development studies or other related areas is required. A minimum of two years of international professional relevant work experience in digital and social media, communications and/or public relations; or a Bachelor's degree and 4 years relevant international professional experience in communications, arts, marketing, international relations, public relations, journalism, development studies or other related areas is required;
- Advanced knowledge and user of leading social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn and others;
- Demonstrated understanding of emerging trends, technology platforms, social behaviors and digital content that can help the organization create and maintain meaningful relationships with various stakeholders and online communities, including: UN agencies, donors, development partners and the general public;
- Demonstrated experience in speedy writing and creating compelling online content, as well as a proven track record of placement and creative and innovative thinking – a new way of doing things;
- Demonstrated experience in mobilizing and engaging online audiences through integrated digital and social media strategies;
- Demonstrated experience with social media management platforms and Adobe design suite;
- Experience handling social media crises is also highly desirable;
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of another official UN language is highly desirable;
- Initiative and sound judgment. Must be highly organized and have demonstrated ability to write quickly and work well under tight deadlines and collaboratively in a team.