This position will provide strategic leadership on content creation within International Alert’s global Advocacy and Communications team while the Communications Manager is on Shared Parental Leave. You will be responsible for providing oversight and hands-on support to ensure the planning, creation and dissemination of high-quality content that helps raise the profile of Alert as a go-to peacebuilding organisation and that demonstrates the impact and importance of peacebuilding to our target audiences.
You will lead a small team of 2-3 content creators who work across a variety of outputs, including articles, publications (e.g. reports, policy briefs, toolkits), impact stories and videos and campaigns. You will also be responsible for overseeing the management of our website and social media channels, the day-to-day responsibility for which is held by a member of the team.
Duties and responsibilities
Strategy and planning
- Support the Director of Advocacy and Communications with team planning.
- Coordinate the development of a cross-platform global content strategy.
- Manage competing content deadlines from teams across the organisation, creating a clear content pipeline.
- Have editorial oversight over all content on the website, email and social media.
- Provide editorial advice and technical support to team members and other staff.
- Write, edit and proofread content as required.
- Manage a content calendar with details of upcoming outputs, events and dates.
- Chair fortnightly team content meetings.
- Manage the processes for editorial and policy sign-off of content.
- Cover social media management when the Senior Digital Engagement Officer is on leave.
- Create content including stories, newsletters, country pages and social media messaging where needed to support capacity within the team.
- Ensure all content complies with our brand identity and quality standards.
- Maintain brand templates on SharePoint and BrandStencil (online templating tool).
- Line-manage up to three team members through formal and informal check-ins.
- Provide communications advice and support to reportees and others in the team.
- Coordinate team input to monthly reports to management and the staff newsletter.
- Advise on and implement processes for ensuring the smooth working of the team.
- Manage and liaise with external suppliers and consultants on an ad hoc basis.
- Represent the team at the weekly staff meeting as part of a team roster.
- Provide ad hoc training for staff to build organisational communications skills.
- Contribute to team-wide communications and knowledge management.
- Participate in organisation-wide events and discussions on related topics/projects as and when required.
- Any other tasks as may be reasonably required.
Although this position is not likely to include extensive travel, the postholder should nevertheless be prepared to travel to regions where International Alert has offices. However, international travel is currently suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- At Alert, we have introduced Talent Management to our business model, as we believe talented people are crucial to the success of our work. We believe all individuals are talented and success comes in matching the right talents to the right roles.
- This post requires a talent for seeing the small and big picture, able to spot written and visual errors in content while at the same time understanding what all the individual pieces contribute to in advancing the messages of International Alert.
- 3-4 years’ experience in a similar role
- Experience line managing members of staff
- Fluency in English (written and spoken)
- Experience writing, editing and proofreading content for a variety of audiences
- Experience writing for the web and social media
- Familiarity with search engine optimisation (SEO) best practices
- Experience in coordinating the production of digital content, including photo stories and videos
- Experience managing the use of branding consistently
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills
- An ability to work independently, in teams and in a multicultural/multilingual environment
- Excellent interpersonal, communications and presentation skills
- Degree-level education in a related field
- Experience using content management systems
- Excellent computer literacy and use of Microsoft software
- Basic knowledge of digital project management tools like Trello
- Basic knowledge of photo editing software like Photoshop