Contract Management Officer
UNOPS, Bamako, Mali
Closing Date for Applications:
- Under the overall guidance of the Head of Support Service, and direct supervision of the Procurement Officer, the Contracts Management Officer will be responsible for effective and timely delivery of UNOPS’ contracts management services, in full compliance with the UNOPS financial rules and regulations and donor requirements.
- S/he will analyze and interpret the financial rules and regulations, analyze operational effectiveness reports, design monitoring tools and develop systems with the assistance of the Procurement Officer.
- S/he will implement a quality plan for each contract and will engage in daily consultation with Project Managers across the spectrum of activities covered by the contracts that s/he manages.
- Contract Management Officer will alert the Procurement Officer of any financial or operational irregularities such as contractors failing to meet the targets of contract work plans and propose a course of action to remedy this.
- S/he will provide solutions to a wide spectrum of complex issues related to procurement of services and contract management.
- S/he will travel to the field office in Mali and visit sites being worked on by contractors and offices used.
The Contract Management Officer responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure full compliance of procurement /contracting activities within UN/UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies. Conduct UNOPS procurement/contracting business processes mapping and contribute to the elaboration/establishment of internal Standards Operations Procedures (SOPs) on procurement of services and contract management.
- Represent UNMAS Programme in Malivis-à-vis subcontractors, clients, national authorities and other external parties to the programme with regards to UNOPS implemented projects.
- Act as negotiator of Mine Action projects in Mali on behalf of UNOPS. Prepare Memorandum of Agreement (MoA), assist Project Manager on the development of Statement of Works (SoW), Contracts and other documents required for project implementation in cooperation with UNOPS legal specialists and Portfolio Manager as needed.
- Assist in international bidding processes. Under the direction of Procurement Officer manage the pre-qualification and short-listing of bidders, preparations of bids, issuance of bids, pre-bid conference, receipt and opening of bids, bid evaluation, submission to UNOPS HQCPC (Headquarters Contracts and Property Committee) for recommendation of award, contracts negotiations, contract finalization and issuance.
- Develop and maintain a contract management plan for all UNMAS Mali contracts in country including, but not limited to, verification of insurance and goods procured, evaluation of subcontractor’s personnel qualifications, monitoring delivery of contractual terms, certification of reports and payments, timely issue of contract amendments, verification of services delivered against contractual requirements, alignment of specifications and standards. Provide objective oversight over various contract management processes and ensure their transparency.
- Develop and implement systems for internal control that would ensure projects efficiency and compliancy with UNOPS rules and regulations and with contractual terms and conditions, in collaboration with the operations team. Develop contract compliance checklists, assess contract risk and develops risk management plans, including mitigating measures.
- Make recommendations for payments upon review of reports and comments from the relevant departments.
- Develop a quality assurance plan to monitor and analyze contract performance against agreed benchmarks and through agreed reporting mechanism. Advise UNMAS management and Project Managers on any potential issues. Negotiate, within the terms and conditions of the contract, solutions to conflicts/problems arising in case of poor performance or non-compliance with contractual obligations.
- Frequently convene meetings with contractors to allow ample opportunity for the identification and early resolution of potential disputes and ensure the meetingsare properly documented and institutionalized.
- Coordinate with other departments any activities required by the contract including logistical support, accreditation, handling of claims, licensing, verification of goods, inventories, monitoring of activities and performance of the subcontractors.
- Realize syntheses of lessons learnt and best practices in procurement /contract management.
- Develop appropriate contract management tools, guidelines and manuals for standardization and knowledge sharing purposes.
- Engage and involve government counterparts as appropriate, to facilitate contract management as well as to contribute to the capacity building plan.
- Implement any other tasks requested by the Procurement Officer and Head of Support Services of UNMAS Mali.
- Advanced University (Master Degree or equivalent) in Procurement, Business Administration, Social Sciences, Project Management or other related subject with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; or First level University degree (Bachelors Degree or equivalent) in a related field with an additional 2 years of relevant experience (minimum of 7 years in total) may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in Contract Management or related field with at least 2 years of progressively responsible professional experience in Procurement contracts management and contract administration matters;
- Strong experience in managing large and complex Contract of goods and services in large international organizations is required;
- Knowledge of the UN Financial and Procurement Rules, Regulations and working practices pertaining to UNOPS is advantageous;
- Experience in project management is highly desirable;
- Relevant experience in procurement planning; in risk analysis; in identifying clients’ procurement-related needs and in providing support and guidance from clients’ point of view is required;
- Previous experience working in Mali is advantageous;
- Ability to effectively work in a multicultural environment is required;
- Flexibility and adaptability to work under pressure and meet specific deadlines.
- Fluency (reading, writing and speaking) in both English and French is required.