United Nations Development Programme, New York, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
This temporary position is located in the United Nations Development Coordination Office (UN DCO), in the Office of the Assistant Secretary-General (OASG). The position reports to the Senior Advisor (UN Sustainable Development Group).
Under the overall guidance of the Senior Advisor (UNSDG), the Coordination Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Supports the Secretariat function of the UN Sustainable Development Group (UNSDG) performed by the Development Coordination Office and the ASG for Development Coordination;
- Supports the Senior Advisor in the development and implementation of the UNSDG agenda and priorities, including the programmes of work of the Principals group, the Core Group, and subsidiary task teams;
- Ensures the timely preparation of relevant background documents and the organization of UNSDG and other related meetings, and assists in the follow-up to meetings, including the preparation and circulation of minutes and summaries, as appropriate;
- Drafts briefing notes, key messages, background documents, notes for the file, presentations, speeches and speaking notes, as relevant, including for the UNSDG Chair, UNSDG Vice Chair and UNDCO ASG, and other UN senior officials as relevant;
- Liaises and coordinates across UNDCO to ensure an effective and holistic Secretariat function, including support to UNSDG task teams, and keeping staff well informed and consulted on UNSDG matters;
- Supports the Senior Advisor with regular outreach, information sharing, consultations and contact with UNSDG focal points in UN agencies, funds and programmes;
- Maintains and updates, on a timely and regular basis, the UNSDG intranet page, and supports UNDCO colleagues to update the public UNSDG website as required;
- Maintains close contacts and liaises, as appropriate, with staff in the Executive Office of the Secretary-General and the Executive Office of the UNDP Administrator, as well as other senior officials of the UN system;
- Undertakes other assignments as requested by the ASG, Deputy Director, Senior Advisor or Chief of Staff.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in sustainable development, economics, public policy, public administration, finance, natural resources management, engineering, law, social sciences or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in development policy advice, political analysis, strategic planning, international relations, peace and security, humanitarian or human rights work or related fields, is required.
- Experience in UN coordination, interagency processes, preparation of analytical reports, background papers, and talking points for senior management is required.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For this position, fluency (both oral and written) in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.