The nexus of security, humanitarian and development issues around Lake Chad Basin Region, has given rise to an intractable extremist insurgency since 2009, that has caused tens of thousands of deaths and left approximately 2.5 million people displaced. To date, over 10 million people in the region, particularly people from the North and Far North regions of Cameroon, Hadjer Lamis and Lac regions of Chad, Diffa region of Niger and Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states of Nigeria are affected and in urgent need of assistance. In response to this threat, the UN Security Council resolution 2349 (2017) was adopted, followed by a series of high-level conferences including the Oslo Consultative Group conference on Prevention and Stabilization in the Lake Chad Region held in Berlin, that called for increased regional collaboration to address the crisis and the African Union and Lake Chad Basin Commission conference on the development of a framework for a Regional Stabilization Strategy.
Within the above context and the aim to address the root causes of the conflict and provide long term stabilization for the region, a Regional Strategy for the Stabilization, Recovery and Resilience (RSS) of the Boko Haram-affected Areas of the Lake Chad Basin was adopted by the Lake Chad Basin Commission Council of Ministers in August 2018 and endorsed by the African Union Peace and Security Council (AU-PSC) in December 2018.
Engrained within the RSS as a primary mechanism for promoting regional cooperation on stabilization, peacebuilding and sustainable development is the establishment of a Governors Forum. Against this background the first conference of Governors was held in May 2018, in Maiduguri, Nigeria. This was followed by a second forum held in Niamey, Niger from 17th – 18th July 2019 geared towards taking stock of progress made and advancing the objectives of the Regional Stabilization Strategy (RSS), including a launched by UNDP and partners of a Regional Stabilization Facility, an innovative financing mechanism in support of the implementation of the RSS. The facility is expected to support the LCBC and AU in their implementation of the RSS, as a coherent and coordinated overarching framework for cross-border cooperation and multi-partner intervention in the region, aimed at long-term stabilization and steady transition from the provision of humanitarian assistance to development and resilience. It also has the
- immediately stabilize insecure areas, where few actors are currently working, and where communities remain vulnerable to continued infiltration and attack,
- enhanced coordination and capacities for civilian security, improved civ-mil coordination, robust human rights monitoring, and a sequenced transition from military authority,
- repair essential infrastructure & deliver basic Government services,
- provide access to livelihoods or minimum income, to address acute levels of poverty, to combat radicalization and recruitment processes, and
- kick-start recovery of the local economy.
Reporting Structure and Partners
The Stabilization Area Coordinator will lead a team of national and international staff responsible for the programmatic development, oversight and implementation of the UNDP Regional Stabilization Facility Hadjer Lamis. Based in Hadjer Lamis , the Stabilization Area Coordinator will report to the Head of the Stabilization service center and collaborate closely with the Deputy Resident Representative (Program), the Deputy Resident Representative (Operations), and other stakeholders relevant to the implementation and attainment of the objectives of the UNDP Stabilization Facility.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Stabilization Area Coordinator will be responsible and contribute directly to the effective and efficient achievement of planned objectives of the Chad window of the UNDP Regional Stabilization Facility in Hadjer Lamis. To this extent, the Stabilization Area Coordinator will be responsible for the following functions in his Area:
- Policy Advice on Stabilization;
- Partnership Building and Resource Mobilization
- Programmatic / Technical, direction and Overall Management;
- Knowledge Management.
Policy Advice on Stabilization:
- Conducts through analysis of political/social and economic situation in the country and in relation to Lake Chad Basin and identifies strategic areas of support for UNDP in areas of stabilization and transition to recovery; provides high level policy advisory services to Government officials in the areas of stabilization and transition to resilience and recovery
- Encourages early stabilization approaches and provides policy advice to UNDP management, government counterparts, local governments, donors and other partners on issues related to stabilization; ensures the integration of cross-cutting issues such as gender, peace building, human rights and resilience in post-crisis stabilization and development response;
- Liaises closely with other UNDP projects in Hadjer Lamis Province, and ensures that stabilization is phased into long-term development programs as part of the planning process for the project and territorial action plans of the Regional Stabilization Strategy of the Lake Chad Basin Commission;
- Provides systematic and effective monitoring, project monitoring, including but not limited to regular field visits, and participation in platform and/or Committee meetings with the Resident Representative;
- Proposes guidelines and innovative methodologies to plan and finance stabilization efforts; and
- Provides strategic communication and UNDP visibility in areas related to stabilization, in line with UNDP’s communication standard.
Partnership Building and Resource Mobilization:
- Builds solid relationships with key provincial and national level partners at high level and identifies institutional development and capacity development opportunities and priorities, where relevant;
- Leads the coordination, planning, documentation, monitoring and implementation processes of the Stabilization facility relating to management of partnerships with regional organizations, COs in neighboring Lake Chad countries, UN Agency Partners, and other humanitarian and development actors;
- Ensures sufficient resource mobilization for the UNDP Regional Stabilization Facility in Chad in close consultation with Senior Management and is responsible for reaching the annual resource mobilization targets;
- Advocates for UNDP’s work and represents UNDP with national/ provincial authorities, the donor community at the provincial level, and international financial institutions, where requested;
- Liaises regularly and forges close linkages with other UN programmes, funds, agencies and entities, as well as other international and national stakeholders concerned with or providing assistance on extended stabilization process in Chad;
- Ensures high-quality and timely reporting through the Country Office Senior Management to government partners and donors involved in the project;
- Contributes to the harnessing of effective partnerships and competitive selection of partners for implementation of UNDP projects;
- Promotes joint programming and UN reform, and collaborates effectively in established frameworks for UN and other international coordination.
- Represents UNDP as requested by the Resident Representative.
Programmatic Direction and Overall Management:
- Provides strategic direction to the overall Stabilization portfolio and leads the project teams. Works closely with a wide array of partners to ensure that the UNDP Regional Stabilization Facility in Chad work responds to the UNDP Country Programme strategy and the vision of wider stabilization;
- Ensures linkages of Stabilization with other relevant projects of the Chad Country Office;
- Oversees overall work plans and budgets for all activities of the UNDP Regional Stabilization Facility in Hadjer Lamis and ensures that overall delivery is on track;
- Ensures timely and adequate reporting against plans, including timely and articulate progress reports;
- Identifies risks and challenges to the program and provides advice to the Stabilization Service Center Manager and to Senior Management of the UNDP Chad Country Office on mitigation strategies;
- Ensures appropriate levels of visibility and public awareness on results and ongoing activities;
- Ensures that appropriate environmental and safety standards as well as due diligence are applied to the relevant activities in the program;
- Supervises all programme staff of the UNDP Regional Stabilization Facility Hadjer Lamis, provides coaching to staff and effective leadership and direction;
- Ensures strict and consistent application of UNDP rules and regulations and the implementation of clear accountability mechanisms;
- Participates in internal control mechanisms for adherence to UNDP rules and regulations in contracts, assets, procurement, recruitment, etc., as required;
- Ensures systematic and effective analysis, monitoring, including but not limited to regular field visits, as appropriate, and participation in Project Board and/or Steering Committee meetings.
- Promotes identification and synthesis of good practices and lessons learned from the UNDP Regional Stabilization Facility for organizational sharing and learning as well as external information;
- Actively participates in UNDP knowledge networks and takes advantage of good practices and lessons learned that are available in the region and globally, by creating a culture of knowledge sharing and learning;
- Ensures the guidance and coordination of stabilization-related exchange of knowledge to help influence/ advance policy dialogue and present such material at regional and other forums; including support to South-South exchanges;
- Uses and promotes the use of the UNDP Regional Service Center for Africa (RSCA);
- Supports capacity and knowledge building of national counterparts in Hadjer-Lamis.
- Other tasks:
- Provide support to staff capacity building as requested;
- Participate in Task Forces and other ad-hoc internal working groups on cross-cutting themes as requested;
- Perform any other tasks as required by the UNDP Chad Resident Representative.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Scales up innovation for greater impact;
- Expands understanding of the subject by clients an inspires action
- Facilitates learning by failure and measured risk taking through pilots
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills required;
- Ability to plan own work, manage conflicting priorities, report on work progress and delivery outputs in a punctual manner;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Sets clear performance goals and standards; executes responsibilities accordingly.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Identifies and nurtures collaborations between diverse professions
- Creates environment of excellence, collaboration and engagement
- Takes appropriate and timely people management decisions
- Resolves complex conflicts, makes difficult people management choices
- Takes an active interest in coaching others
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Effectively represents division /team / programme / project in formal settings
- Communicates new ideas and approaches for the division / team / programme / project in a convincing manner
- Articulates a compelling summary of UNDP’s value added in dynamic operating contexts / partnership dialogues
- Combines the capacity to identify opportunities, establish frameworks for interaction and maintain and grow relationships
Ability to get things done
- Creates new and better services
- Creates an environment that fosters excitement for work
- Uses substantive mastery to model excellence and motivate performance
- Role models sound judgement and solution-orientation in delivering results in complex conditions
- Responds to demands and pressure with a command of situational leadership and judgement
- Demonstrating and applying professional and/or technical expertise/knowledge of the post or discipline.
- Possesses expert knowledge of advanced concepts in stabilization, a broad knowledge of related disciplines, as well as an in-depth knowledge of relevant organizational policies and procedures
- Applies knowledge to support the unit/branch’s objectives and to further the mandate of the UNDP
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself personally
- Demonstrates expert knowledge of the current programme guidelines and project management tools and manages the use of these regularly in work assignments
- Results-based Management
- Effectively managing core and non-core resources to achieve organizational results.
- Identifies country needs and strategies using a fact-based approach
- Sets performance standards, monitors progress and intervenes at an early stage to ensure results are in accordance with agreed-upon quality and timeframes and reports on it
- Makes use of a variety of resources within UNDP to achieve results, such as cross-functional teams, secondments and developmental assignments, and collaborative funding approaches
- Ensures the integration of UNDP’s strategic concern in interagency, other multilateral initiatives and multi-sectoral development frameworks
- Ability to engage with other agencies and forge productive working relationships
- Demonstrates excellent inter-personal skills;
- Possesses the ability to motivate staff and mobilize colleagues and partners in the best interest of achieving results.
- Resource Mobilization
- Serves as an advocate for UNDP’s work;
- Ensures application of relevant strategies in the best interest of mobilizing sufficient resources for the Project and achievement of sustainable results.
- Knowledge Management
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Demonstrates substantive and technical knowledge to meet responsibilities and job requirements with excellence;
- Uses ICT and web-based management systems effectively as tools and resources;
- Demonstrates motivation and capacity to pursue personal developments and learn
Representation and advocacy
- Ability to productively share UNDP knowledge and activities (at UN and other venues)
- Advocates for the inclusion of UNDP’s focus areas in the public policy agenda
- Brings visibility and sensitizes decision makers to relevant emerging issues
- Builds consensus concerning UNDP’s strategic agenda with partners on joint initiatives
- Leverages UNDP’s multidisciplinary expertise to influence the shape of policies and programmes
- Demonstrates political/cultural acumen in proposing technically sound, fact based approaches/solutions
- Dialogues with national counterparts and other stakeholders to strengthen advocacy efforts, incorporating country, regional and global perspectives
- Demonstrates cultural sensitivity, political savvy and intellectual capacity in handling disagreements with UNDP’s policy agenda in order to promote and position UNDP in complex environments
- Stress Management
- Maintaining a professional profile while under stress
- Able to work under pressure and coordinate multiple activities and processes simultaneously;
- Maintains a respectful and responsible work style;
- Manages emotions.
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Master’s degree in Economics, Business or Public Administration, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science, or other relevant fields
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in program management at international level;
- At least 5 years of senior managerial experience in managing large projects, preferably in UN agency;
- Experience/expertise in stabilization is an advantage
- Proven experience in Resource Mobilization;
- Proven track record in high level advisory services to Government counterparts for post conflict situations and programs;
- Sound knowledge of UNDP or other UN agency is required;
- Leadership and policy advisory skills;
- Task management skills to plan and prioritize work activities to meet organizational goals and organizes and oversees work processes efficiently to achieve quality results;
- Knowledge of Results Based Management methodologies would be an asset.
Language Requirements: Fluency in French and in English. Working knowledge of Arabic is desirable.