Country Communications Officer
World Health Organization, Brazzaville, Congo
Closing Date for Applications:
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME:
The Communications Unit (COM) plays a key role in supporting the Regional Director in the effective delivery of his/her mandate and in the provision of leadership and coordination of the work of WHO in the African Region, particularly with respect to reputation management, health information dissemination, and corporate branding. COM is the lead for development and implementation of the Africa Region communications strategy. The Office prepares communication materials for media, public information documents, Governing Bodies and other partners. COM provides guidance, drafting, editing, graphics and design services to Regional Office Clusters, Country Offices and ISTs. COM is the lead Unit for interface with the media and for guidance to staff throughout the region on the rules for media engagement as well as issues of copyrights, data privacy or other aspects of AFRO communications.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Work with country offices and regional clusters to identify subjects of interest to develop and improve media/communication activities at the country and regional level.
- Produce public information materials such as press releases, media advisories, talking points, backgrounders, social media posts and other material on WHO events, products and issues for use by the print, electronic and online media.
- Liaise with the press/media to advocate and disseminate information supporting the achievement of GPW13.
- Organize photographic and video shoots, interviews and filming opportunities to support high-visibility of WHO achievements through television, radio and newspapers, etc.
- Support country offices when the Regional Director conducts an official country visit and promote the highlights of the mission.
- Develop a network of media organizations, which are interested in disseminating material provided by WHO AFRO on key health issues.
- Support country offices to develop engaging content for their country websites. Critically review and improve the content of country websites.
- Research and write feature stories and messages, ideally bringing in a human element from real life experiences
- Work with external relations officers to prepare communication and advocacy products and statements to be used by the Resource Mobilization team in convincing and encouraging donors to rapidly fund the overall health sector response.
- Perform any other communications- related duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
- Essential: A first university degree in communications, journalism, public health, international relations or related field from an accredited/recognized institute.
- Desirable: Courses in communication techniques such as graphic design, visual language and in the use of social media. Courses in photography and videography
- Essential: At least five years' related experience, at the regional and international level, in communications Proven experience in writing a range of communication products.
- Desirable: Prior working experience with WHO/UN or with an international nongovernmental organization. Experience working for a media outlet Experience in photography Experience in videography and editing of video footage
- Proven skills in the development and implementation of communication/media products and tactics.
- Excellent interpersonal skills complemented by the ability to conceptualize ideas.
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to "think out of the box" and to make innovative proposals
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of French. Intermediate knowledge of English
- Desirable: Beginners knowledge of Portuguese.