One Acre Fund began its pilot in Malawi in 2013 and launched full operations in 2016. We currently serve 13,000 farm families directly with input loans, and an additional 50,000 with our training-only service. We are now looking to hire a new Country Director to help support our next stage of focus as we look to deepen and broaden our impact across the country in the coming years.
As the Malawi Country Director, you will oversee a social enterprise with two programs that currently include around 250 employees across the Southern Region. The role spans four key areas of leadership for which you will lean on both global support and local key deputies:
Strategy and Vision - you will lead the development of the Malawi country program strategy and vision, collaborating with strategic partners such as the global leadership group and your in-country Steering Committee:
- Develop and refine a long-term vision and 5-year plan for the social enterprise within Malawi.
- Draft annual country goals, including team priorities, R&D projects, sales and impact targets.
- Chair the in-country weekly Steering Committee meeting and lead the annual leadership retreat.
- Identify and address short-term and long-term risks and remove roadblocks to success.
- Ensure decision-making is aligned with both global organizational priorities and local data from clients and staff.
- Represent One Acre Fund externally within Malawi when needed.
Build Culture - you will work with your in-country Steering Committee, People Lead and all in-country department heads for the following:
- Inspire all levels of staff through celebration of team wins and communication of One Acre Fund story internally.
- Ensure One Acre Fund values are known and practiced.
- Conduct between 2-4 field visits per month to spot check program execution and to connect with clients.
- Monitor team sustainability and make adjustments to workload where needed.
- Oversee annual roll-out of staff satisfaction survey, among other feedback channels, and the resulting initiatives.
Build Team - you will work with your in-country People Lead and all in-country and global department heads for the following:
- Recruit and retain the best talent from both international and national talent pools (closely involved in hiring and promotions).
- Provide big-picture feedback and guidance to 4-6 direct reports through weekly 1-on-1 check-ins.
- Ensure key linkages and communication between in-country department heads and global support.
- Build robust training programs at all job levels to maintain strong leadership development pipelines.
- Maintain a country team organizational chart.
Resource Allocation - you will work with our Financial Advisory Services team and global department heads for the following:
Help lead the annual country budget process in line with goal setting.
- Approve any significant mid-year changes to spending.
- Monitor program financial sustainability and our Social Return on Investment (SROI) performance through monthly Budget-vs-Actual analyses and gross margin decisions.
- Ensure appropriate levels of business controls are in place.
- Provide necessary information and due diligence request support for Malawi-specific funding opportunities.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will commit significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions.
We are looking for a truly extraordinary professional for an extremely competitive posting for a senior management position. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- 7+ years of relevant work experiene, including strong entrepreneurial and leadership roles (e.g. starting a field program in an emerging market, starting a business or social enterprise, managing a growing team, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree required, Masters strongly preferred (e.g. MBA, MPA).
- A willingness to commit to living in Zomba/Malawi for at least three years. This is a permanent, career track role.