The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance.
The team in Sierra Leone has been engaged by the Ministry of Health and Sanitation (MoHS) to support the health sector's recovery in the wake of the devastating Ebola crisis and has evolved that support to a broader health system strengthening approach. This is a unique moment for Sierra Leone as global attention offers the country an opportunity to build a more resilient and robust health system.
CHAI provides technical assistance to Sierra Leone's Ministry of Health and Sanitation in two key focus areas: Human Resources for Health (HRH) and Supply Chain (SC). These teams closely collaborate with government to strengthen national health systems and played a vital role in post-Ebola recovery efforts. The HRH team has provided the MOHS with assistance in establishing a national health worker strategy, identifying cost-savings by completing a national payroll verification, increasing the number of salaried health workers, and improving the visibility and quality of the future health worker pipeline. The SC team has provided support with improved forecasting, procurement, and supply planning for the largest national drug and medical commodity supply chain, while also assisting the government with the national procurement unit’s reform process. CHAI Sierra Leone continues to build upon these accomplishments by expanding into other high priority areas including Health Financing and Sexual and Reproductive Health.
The Country Director, Sierra Leone, will oversee all elements of CHAI’s operations in Sierra Leone and will be responsible for ensuring that CHAI’s existing programs continue to deliver exceptional results while aggressively expanding CHAI’s operational footprint to better support the Government of Sierra Leone to improve health outcomes for the most vulnerable.
- Lead CHAI’s efforts to support the Government of Sierra Leone and maintain and strengthen CHAI’s reputation as a highly capable organization by cultivating and maintaining close, productive relationships with senior leaders and policymakers in Sierra Leone’s government—including key Ministers, Permanent Secretaries, Executive Directors, and other high-level positions—across Ministries of Health, Local Government, Labor and Social Services, Finance and Economic Development, and related parastatals.
- Lead the development and oversee the execution of CHAI’s long-term strategic vision to support the Government of Sierra Leone by articulating key goals and objectives for improving health outcomes and strengthening health services delivery, leading the country team in defining short-, medium-, and long-term roadmaps in pursuit of these goals and objectives, and identifying and cultivating relevant strategic opportunities to expand CHAI’s operational footprint in Sierra Leone.
- Manage high-level donor and partner relationships to increase CHAI’s influence on health policy development and implementation, coordinate with and leverage external partner health investments to maximize CHAI’s impact, and both develop and deepen strategic partnerships to expand CHAI’s resources and operational footprint in Sierra Leone.
- Ensure CHAI’s teams across programmatic, administrative, and technical functions operate at an exceptional standard of performance, achieve maximum impact while delivering on donor and government commitments, and achieve best-in-class cost effectiveness by establishing and maintaining the systems and processes necessary to ensure compliance and value-for-money while creating an entrepreneurial environment that drives toward action, fosters resourceful problem solving, and ensures accountability for results.
- Establish robust financial, administrative, and human resource policies and systems that are aligned with CHAI global policies and ensure legal compliance within the local environment
- Facilitate close, collaborative relationships between global and in-country counterparts across programmatic, administrative, and financial functions and maintain proactive, bi-directional communication with CHAI senior leadership to ensure CHAI’s global capabilities are fully leveraged to support country team success.
- Build a highly effective team to pursue CHAI’s strategic vision in Sierra Leone by facilitating strong design, execution, and monitoring and evaluation of country programs and cultivating a robust recruitment pipeline of exceptional staff to ensure that CHAI’s programs achieve maximum impact.
- Given CHAI's lean staffing model, take responsibility for some direct programmatic work when and where needed in support of the country team and provide high-quality technical assistance to the government as needed/requested.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent plus 10 years work experience; or Advanced Degree or equivalent plus 8 years work experience; or equivalent work experience
- Comfortable in a peer relationship with political leaders such as the Minister of Health, as well as civil servants
- Ability to navigate complex government processes with multiple influencers, and to negotiate and achieve consensus
- Experience in a leadership role, with full operational and financial responsibility and accountability
- Demonstrated ability to favorably influence decision making processes in a diplomatic and collaborative manner
- Demonstrated ability to develop compelling program strategies and associated proposals and business cases to successfully secure resources for program implementation
- Demonstrated proficiency in building management processes and tools and ensuring that the organization follows them
- Demonstrated ability to work with the leadership of his/her organization on strategic, operational, and organizational issues, as a strong yet collaborative team member
- Proficiency in working independently to solve complex problems without extensive structural or operational support from HQ
- Ability to achieve maximum efficiency and impact with limited human and financial resources
- Mentor, manager, role model and team player who demands 100% performance from self and entire team
- Strong analytical skills and willingness to actively engage in the substance of the work
- Strong program management experience
- Ability to work within budgetary constraints
- Excellent business-oriented oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional strategic thinking, problem-solving, team building and interpersonal skills
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed