As a member of the East and Southern Africa Senior Leadership team, you will have shared accountability for Save the Children’s international development and emergency programming in the region of approximately $300 million each year through an organization of over 5,500 people. To achieve our ambitious goals and breakthroughs for children, the leadership team will, in collaboration with Save the Children Members and in conjunction with the other regional organisations, aim to drive growth and program quality globally.
The Country Director will lead the growth and transform program quality of the country to new standards, whilst also delivering Save the Children’s strategy within the country through:
- Delivering quality programmes, including advocacy, for children; and
- Ensuring world class stewardship of resources from Members and their donors
Qualifications and experience
- Experience of building, leading and developing a team of senior staff with different backgrounds and expertise
- Experience of managing a crisis situation requiring quick changes to priorities and rapid action to respond
- Experience of leading change in an organisation which has led to considerable results for the organisation and its stakeholders
- Experience of building personal networks at a senior level, resulting in securing new opportunities for the organisation
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy-in
- Good understanding and substantial experience (gained internationally) of programme, financial and operational management processes.
- Good understanding of key trends in international and humanitarian development
- Excellent communication skills written and spoken English
- Commitment to the Save the Children values
South Sudan is a country programme of high complexity, the additional requirements in terms of experience and qualifications for high complexity countries applies;
- Experienced leader who has held a senior position in a complex organisation.
- Track record in recruiting, leading and developing calibre specialist senior staff with a range of backgrounds and expertise
- Track record in developing and empowering staff to deputise for and succeed to own role
- Experience of leading a complex organisation through a major period of change
- Strategic thinker who is comfortable with developing ambitious business strategies and has a good track record of delivering on these
- Ability to manage and motivate self and others to respond to a major crisis situation, requiring swift action and rapid changes in priorities
- Evidence of identifying and building strategic and effective business networks at a senior level, which have resulted in clear business benefit for the organisation
- Innovative approach to solving a range of complex issues and galvanising buy-in to the solutions at all levels
- Attuned political acumen and sensitivity
- Strong cultural awareness
- Contract length: Open Ended
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.