About the job
The Country Director (CD) is SI’s official representative in Bangladesh AND is the mission’s focal point for both strategic and operational orientations and dilemmas.
SI is thus looking for a leader, with an excellent understanding of how donor-based NGOs work, who is capable of handling representation responsibilities, and who will roll her his sleeves up, advising the teams and participating actively when needed.
- he is in charge of the smooth running of the mission.
- he proposes mission strategy, taking into account the geopolitical and humanitarian context, and ensures its implementation once it has been validated in collaboration with HQ.
- he monitors projects, ensuring that they are progressing in accordance with SI charter and complying with internal and contractual procedures.
- he mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for the programs to run effectively and supervises the administration of these resources.
- he coordinates the teams and ensures their security on the mission.
- he is the direct liaison for SI’s HQ, and works in partnership with HQ.
Coordination and strategic orientation:
- Monitor and analyze the humanitarian, political, cultural, social and economic context.
- Propose, develop and put in place an operational strategy consistent with the association’s policies and population’s needs.
- Relevance and operational quality/operations monitoring:
- Guarantee the coordination, development, monitoring and evaluation of programs implemented on the mission.
- Ensure that programs are implemented in accordance with annual operational strategy, SI’s technical requirements and financial donor criteria.
- Propose and organize the Human, financial and logistic layout of the mission.
- Ensure the financial resources and means necessary for the completion of projects are mobilized.
- Build and maintain team dynamics that enable SI’s objectives to be carried out effectively in the country.
- Ensure that SI’s HR policies and procedures are applied (recruitment, performance reviews, etc.).
- Ensure work-life balance for SI staff and maintain suitable working and living environments.
- Be responsible for the security of all teams and property on the mission, under the supervision of the HQ Desk Officer.
- Monitor and analyze the security situation and ensure that teams clearly understand it.
- Ensure that everyone complies with security rules and procedures on the mission.
- Deal immediately with any security incidents that may occur on the mission and alert HQ without delay.
Relationships with financial donors/fund-raising:
- Monitor and analyze financial donor strategies.
- Actively assist in fund-raising and ensure the mission’s financial stability.
- Strengthen relationships between SI’s and financial donor representatives.
Internal and external communication, representation:
- Ensure that deadlines are adhered to and that documents produced by the mission are of good quality.
- Ensure that key operational information is circulated correctly, on the mission and between the mission and HQ.
- Act as SI’s official representative in the country for aid workers, local political and administrative authorities, the civil society, the humanitarian stakeholders and the media.
- Current main challenges for the CD in Bangladesh
- Support the stabilization of the teams: after a quite rough turnover period, the teams are complete, but still need consolidation (processes, team building).
- Keep on working on the improvement of communication and coordination practices between the 3 offices (Dhaka, Cox, Teknaf).
- Continue prioritizing the nationalization of relevant positions (capacity building).
- Roll out the Country Strategy and prepare the next update.
- Enhancing external communications strategy and activities.
- This position requires frequent visits to Cox and Teknaf.
Qualification: Post graduate level in development/humanitarian studies (desirable but can be balanced by experience).
- Substantial experience in a similar or senior management position in an overseas INGO environment, ideally in both emergency and longer-term contexts.
- Experience of strategic planning.
- Experience of managing large teams in multiple locations with various problematic.
- Experience of managing security.
- Experience of budget management and donor compliance.
- Experience of establishing strong working relationships with colleagues and partners from different functions and cultures.
Technical skill and competence:
- Strong organizational improvement skills, with specific focus on resources optimization and mission stabilization.
- Excellent representational skills, to represent SI to a broad range of people and organizations including donors and government officials.
- An ability to reflect on and learn from own performance and the performance of the program; and to act upon that learning.
- Ability to consider, understand and make use of the historical background of SI presence in Bangladesh.
- A good understanding of security management.
- A good understanding of humanitarian issues including refugees, protection, advocacy, DRR and climate change issues.
- Confident and proficient in the use of MS Office.
- An ability to analyze information quickly and accurately.
- Good problem solving skills in daily activities AND in crisis situations.
- A flexible approach to management and prioritizing a high workload and multiple tasks with tight deadlines.
- Ability to take decisions and work in autonomy.
- An understanding of and commitment to SI’s mission and values.
Language: Strong communication skills with excellent written and spoken Englishabsolutely mandatory – as there are a lot of representation activities planned on a weekly basis.
- Previous experience in South Asia.
- Previous experience with SI.