Role Dimension: Save the Children has been actively working in Burkina since 1982. Our programs cover 7 provinces/regions which are: Sud-Ouest, Cascades, Hauts Bassins, Boucle du Mouhoun, Nord, Sahel and Centre Nord.
Our program is implemented in various sectors including Health, Nutrition, Education, Child poverty and Child Protection. With a full-spectrum approach to programming, we engage in both long-term development projects and emergency interventions delivered both directly and through local partners, building the resilience and improving the lives of girls and boys throughout the country. The BF country program employs around 240 staff and has an annual operating budget of over $15 million this year. We work directly with families and communities, foster the participation of children and partner with local organizations, UN bodies, International NGOs and the Burkina Faso government to deliver results.
As a member of the Regional Senior Leadership Team, contribute to strategic development and delivery of international programming, in both humanitarian and development contexts, in line with the Save the Children mandate, strategy and theory of change.
- Provide vision and direction for the Burkina Faso country programme
- Effectively build and lead a high performing SMT to deliver against strategy and to model behaviours and values expected of staff
- Accountable for the leadership and management of staff and programme in Burkina Faso
- Develop the Country Strategy and ensure ongoing review progress against key country and organisational level objectives, indicators and targets
- Ensuring that the focus of the organisation remains on the rights and needs of children
- Contribute to regional and global knowledge and learning
Human Resource Management
- Ensure that Save the Children attracts and retains high calibre staff
- Pro-actively develop and coach staff to optimise their potential in pursuit of Save the Children’s objectives
- Implementation of HR policies and procedures at country level, in line with HR policies, procedures and guidelines and local labour law
- Ensure consistent implementation of strong performance management systems throughout the country team
- Foster a collegial, supportive and respectful culture within the Burkina Faso team
Programme Development and Management
- Ensure programme interventions are in line with technical best practice, SC common approaches, and emerging national policies as well as with country and strategic objectives, strategies, policies and approaches.
- Ensure that effective monitoring and evaluation systems are implemented in line with policies, systems and guidelines.
- Preparing for and implementing rapid and effective responses to major emergencies affecting children, including building relationships with key humanitarian and development decision-makers and partners in-country
- Delivering programmes and advocacy in line with the country strategy, operational plans, budgets and Member requirements that result in significant impact for children
Financial and Admin Management
- Ensure effective financial budgeting and management systems, processes and controls are in place and are fully compliant with operating standards and local legal requirements
- Ensure effective Save the Children and donor compliant procurement and asset management systems, processes and controls are in place
- Ensure that partner organisations are assessed in relation to financial management and governance standards and are supported to address capacity weaknesses
Audit and Corporate Governance compliance
- Ensure compliance with all host government requirements in relation to registration, taxation, labour law, auditing, fraud etc.
- Ensure follow-up on recommendations arising out of audits of operations and take appropriate actions where necessary
- Ensure full compliance with Members and donors requirements in relation to awards secured for the country programme
- Network actively and play a lead role in management level dialogue with members, donors and other INGOs on accessing and managing awards
- Maintain and grow the funding base for the country program and liaise with the bilateral and multilateral donor community in Burkina.
- Develop, establish and manage Burkina programme security plans and procedures in line with policies, systems and guidelines
- Maintain, document and communicate up to date analyses of the changing security context
- Ensure all staff adhere to security guidelines
Representation, Communications and Advocacy:
- Develop and maintain good relations with Members and their donors
- Represent Save the Children’s interests in Burkina including Government Institutions, UN agencies, donor delegations, international & local NGOs
- Ensure the timely provision of internal and external communications material as required
- Any other duties as assigned by the Regional Director
Qualifications and experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field
- Experienced leader who has held senior positions in complex/high profile/ multinational organisations
- Experience of working with large, complex donors (USAID, EU, DFID, CIDA, DANIDA etc.) to secure and/or manage new large-scale and/or competitive funding
- Understanding of key trends in international and humanitarian development
- Demonstrable ability to recruit, lead and develop high calibre specialist senior staff with a range of backgrounds and expertise
- Strong track record in building high performance teams and future successors/leaders
- Ability to manage and motivate self and others to respond to a significant and complex crisis situation in extraordinary circumstances, requiring swift action and rapid changes in priorities