ActionAid is a leading international organisation**, working with over 15 million people in 45 countries for a world free from poverty and injustice. We’re amongst the first few international development organisations with our head office based in Africa. We also have offices right across Asia, the Americas and Europe. We believe the people whose lives our work affects should decide how we’re run. And that’s what makes us different. We help people use their own power to fight poverty and injustice – the Power in People.
We work in partnership with local NGOs and by supporting a number of other projects and policy influencing initiatives. ActionAid is among the leading NGOs promoting poverty focused strategies and programmes.
ActionAid Zimbabwe is looking for a Country Director to manage, lead, direct and shape a vision for ActionAid Zimbabwe, in line with the established policies, principles and operating practice of ActionAid, as well as good management practice and the political, social, cultural & economic environment.
- Implement and further develop AAI's vision, mission, philosophy and principles in line with agreed corporate strategies and organisational priorities.
- Ensure programme quality from design to implementation while maintaining minimum standards for quality assurance and accountability
- Ensure that the control of expenditure and the disbursement of resources is in accordance with established procedures and maintain the financial and legal integrity of the organisation.
- Maintain effective and appropriate staff recruitment, induction, appraisal, remuneration and development practice at all levels to ensure the optimum utilisation and development of AAI's human resources.
- Ensure that AAI operates within the terms and conditions of all legal agreements with the Zimbabwe Government.
- Ensure a regular flow of information is available to the funding departments and to donors and official funders as required by the various funding mechanisms, especially child sponsorship.
- Encourage the development of appropriate research with a view to improving the quality of field work and influencing changes in policy to improve the quality of life for the poor.
- Develop and manage a sound relationship with all sections of the media and ensure that any published material accurately reflects the views of the organisation.
- Develop and maintain appropriate contingency plans for all kinds of emergencies. Such plans to be presented for approval of the Line Manager for inclusion in corporate emergency response mechanisms.
To be eligible to apply for the role you should have:
- A Masters degree in social sciences or arts/humanities or in a related field.
- At least 5 year’s experience in a senior management position in the development sector particularly in designing, setting up and coordinating monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment systems and processes as well as pro-poor strategies
- In-depth understanding of programming issues and policy work at state, national and international levels
- Sound and up to date knowledge of development concepts, methodologies and techniques including demonstrated expertise in at least one specialist development field
- Understanding of gender issues in development and demonstrable commitment to promoting gender equity within the organisation and in programme work
- Excellent skills in facilitation and capacity building for inter-linkages between staff, donors, partners & stakeholders