INTERSOS has a long standing presence and experience working in Afghanistan (since 2001) and currently has 2 operational offices: Kabul and Kandahar. INTERSOS’ humanitarian response strategy for Afghanistan is paying attention to emergency needs of the conflict-affected population, in particular IDPs, documented and undocumented returnees (from Pakistan and Iran) and vulnerable/isolated host communities. INTERSOS’ strategy is to provide for emergency response capacity in 4 main sectors: protection (including Education in Emergency), health-nutrition, livelihoods and WASH. As such INTERSOS has also ongoing multi-sector humanitarian programs (with its 4 priority sectors integrated), opting for an area- and community-based approach.
General purpose of the position
The Country Finance Officer is responsible for the proper technical performance of all accounting-financial activities of the mission and its projects. In this context, he/she ensures the correct and effective management of financial resources, in accordance with the Organization procedures and the Regional Finance Officer’s guidelines.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- To ensure compliance with INTERSOS and donors procedures;
- To manage country and project accounting and coordinate administrative personnel;
- To assume responsibility for cash account administration, ensuring conformity to existing procedures; shortages or thefts must be reported, bearing the joint signature of both, the Country Finance Officer and the Head of Mission;
- To update the economic and financial status of the mission and related-projects, in terms of expenses, appropriations, available cash and liquidity (Prima Nota);
- To update monthly the Global Management of the mission under the coordination of the Regional Finance Officer;
- To provide support to the Head of Mission on the drafting of new projects.
- To check Bank accounts of the mission of the mission and provide the Regional Finance Officer with monthly Bank Statements and Bank reconciliations;
- To check the interim and final financial reports and submit them to the Project Manager and Head of Mission for approval (with the support of the Regional Finance Officer);
- To assume responsibility for local personnel register;
- To ensure the proper execution of goods, works and services procurement processes and conformity to INTERSOS and donors procedures.
- To be responsible for mission administrative-accounting documents and all finished project Documentation (with the support and overall responsibility of the Regional Finance Officer).
- To set up, organize and manage the administrative files pertaining the mission and in loco projects, based on criteria defined by the Protocols and any indications from the Regional Finance Officer;
- To check that warehouse bookkeeping and related documents are d stored and filed;
- To update inventory records pertaining INTERSOS and third-parties assets and verify the completeness of the supporting documentation;
- To provide the Regional Finance Officer with official documentation on individual projects and contracts;
- To update the list of reliable suppliers, as indicated by the Head of Mission, for subsequent use in specific procedures;
- To manage the local personnel register, subdivided by project;
- To submit to the Regional Finance Officer and the Foreign Finance Director the accounting report and the supporting documentation.
Education: Advanced university degree from a recognized academic institution in one or more of the following areas is preferred: Finance Management, Business Administration, Management, International Economics, International Development, Contract/Commercial Law.
Professional experience: Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience at national and international level working as admin-finance officer, also in humanitarian field locations
- Strong understanding of budgeting and financial management
- Strong understanding of the humanitarian emergency operating context, the humanitarian system and its flexibility, donors and their high demanding, security and financial management in humanitarian context
- Excellent computer skills, especially Excel
- Strong representation and negotiation skills
- Demonstrate experience with different donor finance compliance and reporting
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of Italian and/or Arabic (desirable)
- Ability to persuade and influence, negotiate to obtain agreement, promote ideas.
- Ability to network and establish good relations with stakeholders, at all levels.
- Fast learner, adapts and responds to change, tolerates ambiguity.
- Demonstrated leadership and very good interpersonal/communication skills
- Able to work with People of all background and culture.
- Ability to perform and assure high accuracy in work under stress
- Positive and solution oriented personality
- Commitment and Respect of local culture