The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country, and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
About the job
- Under the supervision of the Head of Support Services, the Finance Manager will ensure that all financial functions in the country programme including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, grant financial management and compliance are done effectively and in a timely manner. The Finance Manager ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as DRC’s internal policies and procedures and local Government regulations such as tax, social security. The Finance Manages is directly managing and supervising the Finance staff at the Country Office and is technically supervising the Finance staff in Field Offices. This role also provides financial support to Program staff in budgets and budget status reports.
Financial Accounting, Management and Reporting
- Maintain internal financial procedures compatible with the country’s law, DRC’s Operations Handbook and donor requirements.
- Ensure that proper financial procedures are adhered to and maintained at the Country Office, in collaboration with Budget Holders and in compliance with DRC rules and regulations.
- In collaboration with the Head of Support Services, work with and support Budget Holders in budget preparations, realignments, monitoring and follow ups.
- Ensure day-to-day accounting functions, including regular cash verification, cash/bank reconciliation, monthly cashbooks closing, advances’ reconciliation, timely submission of accounts to
HQ finance desk.
- Ensure payments to suppliers and recurrent expenditures from the Country Office are made in a timely manner and authorization done as per IDRA and CT authorization.
- Gather information from the relevant Area Offices to consolidate budgets for project proposals according to projects’ needs and donor constraints; Propose sufficient programme and support budgets including mission’s investment plans in close collaboration with the Head of Support Services.
- Ensure a controlled and smooth cash flow management process for Iraq Country Programme and ensuring all Area Offices have sufficient cashflow for operations.
- Oversee the management of bank accounts in Erbil, as well as oversee Cash management and safe(s).
- Maintenance of the Country Master Budget on a monthly basis and highlighting any foreseen gaps to the Head of Support Services for the gap management. Also responsible for dissemination of the same to the respective Area Offices.
- Works closely with the Head of Support Services to implement, improve and maintain financial management policies, systems, structures, and procedures within the Country Office
- Update the Job descriptions of finance department staff when required.
- Provide technical support to the Area offices-based finance staff as well as providing leadership to the finance staff in the Country Office.
- Proactively identify and act upon capacity Building needs of Finance staff based in the Country Office, providing training and other capacity-building where necessary to ensure that finance staff capacity is continuously developing.
- Conduct on-the-job training for Budget Holders, guiding them through Budgeting, donor compliance and compliance to DRC handbook.
- Plan field monitoring visits by the Country Office Finance staff to Area and Field office for field teams’ support
- Ensure an ongoing, accurate both physical & digital data filing system for all Finance vouchers in the Country Office and relevant documentation in the program finance offices.
- Ensure master in the DRC Dynamics (ERP) System and responsible for training other finance staff in the Country Office as well as in the Area offices.
- Manage special projects, assigned by the Head of Support Services.
- On request, perform any other additional duties assigned by the supervisor(s) in order to allow the organization to function optimally.
- This job description is not a definitive task list but has been done to clarify the responsibilities of the employee.
Reporting to: Head of Support Services
Direct reports: Finance Coordinator, Finance Specialists, Finance Officers, Finance Assistants
Technical reports: Head of Finance (area offices)
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 6 years of international practical experience in financial management
- At least 3 years of experience working with an INGOs
- Minimum 3 years of experience in team management
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven experience in managing large budgets
- Advance proficiency in Excel
- Experience working with Automated accounting and Finance Software
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meeting deadlines
- Excellent financial and analytical skills
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environment and a good team player
- Highly collaborative and able to establish positive working relationships with senior level management and all other stakeholders to maximize cooperation and productivity
- Must be able to maintain highest level of confidentiality regarding work-related information and data
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting (or related degree)
- Certified Accountant Qualification coupled with 8 years’ relevant experience will be considered in lieu of Bachelor’s degree
- English (fluent)
- Kurdish (Desirable)
- Arabic (Desirable)