UNOPS has been supporting projects in Pakistan for more than 15 years and in 2010 opened a new office in Islamabad to support the post-flood relief and recovery effort.
UNOPS in Pakistan implements projects in the following thematic areas:
- Early recovery and reconstruction of community infrastructure
- Project management and related monitoring and verification
- Community development
- Gender justice and women's empowerment
The UNOPS Pakistan office has an ongoing portfolio of approximately 14 Mil USD (2017) and 13 personnel. There are significant opportunities for growth and contribution to the achieving SDGs in the country. UNOPS is hiring a resident Country Manager to fully capitalize on our positioning and partnerships in the country. This position will play a key role in achieving this objective.
The Country Manager reports directly to the Operational Hub Director who provides direction and general supervision. The Country Manager is responsible for programme development planning and preparation and for managing all stages of programming to achieve results in the area/s of responsibility. The role contributes, as part of the Operational Hub team, to the development and implementation of strategies to enhance the competencies and position of UNOPS in sustainable project management and services to partners, stakeholders and UN system partners.
The Country Manager represents UNOPS on behalf of the Operational Hub Director in the country of his/her responsibilities. The Operational Hub Director provides general direction and guidance for the role. The Country Manager will oversee all project management and support services in the Operations Centre, including managing all human resource and delivering timely and cost-effective services for sustainable results by partners and stakeholders.
Summary of key results:
- Programme governance, implementation and monitoring
- Programme development and planning
- Manage programme resources
- Partnership networking and advocacy
- Knowledge management and innovation
- Country representation
Programme governance, implementation and monitoring
- Accept responsibility for project portfolio oversight as delegated by the Operational Hub Director and through the role of Project Executive on Project Boards.
- Contribute to the development of the Operations Centre strategy in collaboration with the Operational Hub.
- Establish and execute the programme implementation plans in collaboration with the team and partners, including setting objectives, performance measurements, standards and results expected to ensure timely and client-oriented services.
- Monitor and supervise the timely and cost-effective implementation of the programme according to UNOPS goals and partner expectations approved the budget and full cost recovery.
- Supervise and guide the Programme and Project Managers to ensure that project management policies, processes and methods are followed and practiced according to the organization’s standards, best project management practices are promoted, and overall assurance of projects is provided.
- Mentor and assist Program and Project Managers in planning, execution and delivery of allocated projects, ensuring incorporation of best practice project management processes.
- Facilitate timely and accurate project tracking, analysis of outputs, and reporting.
Programme development and planning
- Support the Operational Hub Director to ensure the financial sustainability of the programme and delivery of desired results, ensuring compliance with organizational strategies, rules, regulations and standards of performance.
- Submit mandated reports and critical issues to the Operational Hub Director and clients, to drive future process improvement and business development planning.
- Analyse and keep abreast of political and development trends in the geographical area, to identify and propose to the Operational Hub Director areas for UNOPS engagement and support based on regional/country priorities, strategic areas of focus and comparative advantage.
- Manage and oversee the preparation of programme documents (including business cases/strategies, policy briefs, programme plans and risk assessments).
- Ensure the accurate and timely completion of programme/business recommendations for the review and approval of the Operational Hub Director.
- Consult and collaborate with internal and external colleagues and partners to ensure linkages, consistency, and harmonisation of approaches and compliance with guidelines, framework and standards of accountability, integrity and performance.
Manage programme resources
- Plan and propose to the Operational Hub Director, required programme resources (human and financial).
- Submit revenue and expenditure forecasts based on UNOPS and Operational Hub financial goals.
- Determine pricing strategies based on UNOPS pricing policy and models to ensure an appropriate balance between revenue and development capacity within UN mandate and spirit.
- Manage programme resources in accordance with UNOPS standards of ethics, integrity and accountability framework and financial sustainability.
- Plan, recruit, manage and develop programme personnel/technical experts with the skills and competencies needed to ensure optimum performance and encouraging the formation of diverse teams in term of gender and geography.
- Promote teamwork, collaboration and diversity by providing the programme team with clear direction, objectives and guidance to enable them to perform their duties responsibly, effectively and efficiently.
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
- Plan, conduct and/or respond to UNOPS performance evaluation reviews and surveys.
Partnership, networking and advocacy
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships through active networking, advocacy and effective communication of UNOPS competencies in project service delivery and management.
- Support the business development function by identifying and developing new business and partnership/customer opportunities.
- Collaborate with the Business Development Manager to prepare proposals and partnerships engagement.
- Contribute to current and future growth plans for the Operational Hub, ensuring alignment with the UNOP Strategic Plan.
- Supervise the development of communication strategies to maximise communication impact and outreach and build awareness of UNOPS goals and competencies to reinforce UNOPS competitive edge as a provider of sustainable projects results.
- At the request of the Operational Hub Director pparticipate and/or represent the Operations Centre in inter-agency discussions and planning to ensure UNOPS position, interests and priorities are fully considered.
Knowledge management and innovation
- Keep abreast of and incorporate latest/best practices, innovative approaches and technology to enhance the programme delivery and results.
- Institutionalise and share best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building.
- Draft policy papers and/or recommend policy changes to align country operations with changing environment.
- Lead the planning, implementation and organization of strategic capacity building of personnel, clients and stakeholders within the programme.
- Act as the internal coordination point to ensure adequate coordination of UNOPS activities in the designated country.
- At the request of the Hub Director, participate in relevant inter-agency and external meetings.
- Maintain regular contact with stakeholders, including Government to ensure full information sharing and participation.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners, colleagues and stakeholders to keep abreast of evolving trends, advocate UNOPS services and build partnerships/alliances to maintain/enhance UNOPS visibility in project services in development cooperation.
- At the request of the Hub Director, participate in the UN Security Management Team (SMT) and in line with the UN Security Management System Framework of Accountability, support the UN Designated Official in discharging his/her mandate related to the safety and security of all UNOPS personnel, premises and assets.
- At the request of the Hub Director, participate in UN Country Team (UNCT) initiatives to strengthen UN coherence, inclusiveness, and aid effectiveness.
- At the request of the Hub Director, keep the UN Resident Coordinator informed of UNOPS activities within the country through regular communication and formal reporting on business acquisition and implementation of activities led by UNOPS as part of the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF)
Education: A Master’s degree in engineering, project management, public administration, social science or other relevant related field is required.A combination of Bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience [that combines strategic and managerial leadership in the social development, business development, executive management and/or programme management planning and operations in a large international and/or corporate organization.
- At least 3 years of leadership experience including supervising teams and managing budgets.
- Some experience in UN system organizations preferably in a developing country is desirable.
- Experience in hardship or post conflict environments is desirable.
- Engineering experience and experience in managing complex infrastructure projects and programs is highly desirable
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset.