Country Office Gender and Protection Advisor
World Food Programme, Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
Closing Date for Applications:
JOB PURPOSE AND REPORTING LINE
Under the supervision of the Country Director and in close collaboration with the Country Office’s Gender Focal Point, and with technical support from the Gender Office at Headquarters and the Regional Bureau, the Gender and Protection Adviser will provide strategic and technical support for the mainstreaming of gender and protection.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Develop the Country Office Gender and Protection Strategies and related Action Plans;
- Support mobilising resources for the implementation of the Action plans;
- Support the Country Office in Joining the Gender Transformation Programme;
- Enhance the overall knowledge and importance of gender in the Country Office; and
- Develop and implement a succession plan, which may include the recruitment of new staff and training.
Knowledge Management, Information and Analysis
- Work with the M&E/VAM Unit to ensure systematic collection, analysis and use of quantitative and qualitative sex- and age disaggregated data
- Draft gender and protection analysis
- Contribute to WFP Gender Community of Practice, including contributing to the online Gender Community and facilitation in the monthly gender brown bag sessions
- Provide policy and programme advice on specific gender and protection issues that impact on WFP operations, and how to comprehensively mainstream gender and protection in programming;
- Support the set-up of the beneficiary feedback mechanism for all activities (i.e. hotline), including training for WFP and partners’ staff, as well as beneficiary awareness and sensitisation
- Ensure that WFP’s programmes are transformative in nature
- Develop and implement protection and gender training (for both WFP and partners’ staff), including on gender/protection awareness, gender/protection analysis, gender/protection in the programme management cycle, gender-based violence, sexual exploitation abuse, accountability to affected populations, and other related subjects
- Support the implementation of gender and protection capacity development initiatives
- Strengthen the capacities of the Country Office Gender Results Network members
- Represent WFP in interagency working groups as well as in other fora, and ensure WFP’s engagement and contribution
- Liaise with the Regional Gender and Protection Advisers, Country Office Gender Results Network members, Country Office Gender Focal Point, as well as gender staff from UN entities, NGOs, donors, community-based organisations and government bodies, including women’s rights organisations
Advocacy & Partnership
- Support the Country Office in producing regular updates and briefing materials on gender and protection
- Building strategic alliances with key partners to advocate for gender transformative programming and collaborate on GEWE and protection initiatives
- Ensure proposals incorporate and adequately describe gender-transformative activities
- Advanced university degree in one of the following disciplines: social sciences, gender, international development, human rights, development economics or related field.
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience in gender or related field, such as human rights.
Desirable Knowledge and Skills
- In-depth knowledge of gender in humanitarian and development settings, gender-based violence, humanitarian policy issues and linkages with food security and nutrition.
- Solid analytical skills, including gender analysis.
- Solid communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate through multiple mediums (e.g. policy, advocacy messaging, reporting, training)
- Sound knowledge and skills in adult learning.
- Team spirit and excellent interpersonal relations.
- Knowledge of the UN system, including gender-related mandates is an asset.
- Working knowledge (proficiency/Level C) of English is required.