World Bank Group, Cairo, Egypt
Closing Date for Applications:
About the Organization:
World Bank Group (WBG) is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. The World Bank is a vital source of financial and technical assistance to developing countries around the world.
The Middle East and North Africa Department “MENA” is hiring a Country Officer to join the front office for the regional director (RD) for the MENA region and be responsible for coordinating, and monitoring the progress of various work streams of IFC's program in MENA, to build an environment attractive to private sector investment and that results in sustainable development impact. The Country Officer will also be part of the RD front office team and will also work closely on specific reporting and other assignments that aim to streamline the processes and workflow for the RD. The position will be based in Cairo.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Keep abreast of general news, political and macro updates and key initiatives across the MENA region.
- Working in coordination of the region economist and relevant country teams, research untapped markets to identify current constraints to private sector investment as input to upstream market creation decisions.
- Develop and keep updated relevant reports and tracking tools to monitor the progress of various work streams and identify instances requiring special attention and focus. In collaboration with the RD front office team, regional teams and strategists, (i) follow up and coordinate regarding the formulation and execution of country strategies (including CPFs, CENs) and diagnostics across the MENA countries; (ii) support preparation of briefing materials relating to senior management visits and Annual, Spring meetings, and other engagements for the RD; (iii) develop and maintain close working relationships with front office staff for World Bank country and sector directors, IFC regional industry directors and IFC senior management.
- Participate in missions, country review meetings and review of different IS and AS projects where the RD input is needed.
- Support the front office with background check and clearances for Integrity Due Diligence engagements involving IFC projects in the MENA region or with regional sponsors.
- Support the RD to ensure IFC representation/involvement at key private sector, public sector, donor and World Bank events and meetings as appropriate, and ensure dissemination of information to relevant staff within the World Bank Group.
- Support the development of appropriate communications strategies and assist in developing presentations and other material involving the front office.
- If needed, participate in targeted business events and conferences to develop business.
- Ensure quality control of work products and efficient use of resources.
- Advanced degree in Business, Economics or related fieldFive to eight years of professional experience in development finance, banking, auditing, relationship management in public and/or private sector/technical advisory services particularly related to private sector development and/or business environment
- Experience in investment transaction, with shown success in managing client relationships as well as developing and analyzing client business requestsDemonstrated knowledge of the region including politics, history, social dynamics, culture, economics, local markets, and regulatory framework
- Deep understanding of sector drivers, business/market development cycles within a country, as well as implications of environmental and social sustainability issues, and how sector dynamics may evolveGood analytical skills spanning financial analysis, financial modeling, integrity assessment, and ability to clearly express and communicate in writing and verbally
- Proven client relationship skills.
- Track record and ability to focus on client needs effectively.
- Good at interacting directly and independently with the key counterparts (clients as well as financial, and technical partners)
- Experience working in large and extended teams with different backgrounds, and coordinating parallel work streams in an efficient and timely manner
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills, ability to work successfully in multicultural teams and across boundaries, to build networks across IFC, including the ability to mentor and coach others to achieve results
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills in English and Arabic
- Excellent organizational, administrative, and time management skills; ability to deliver in tight deadlinesWillingness to travel extensively and geographic flexibility