Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Duties and Accountabilities:
His/her specific duties and accountabilities comprise the following areas: country strategy, communications, and knowledge management.
Country Strategy Development and Implementation:
• Contributes to the formulation of the country strategy in collaboration with operational colleagues.
• Contributes to the monitoring and implementation of WBG-supported activities in the country.
• Provides upstream review of project documents and knowledge products for consistency with the country strategy and risk management.
• Plans, designs, implements and monitors strategies to promote effective communications with external and internal audiences.
• Analyzes and advises on risk identification and mitigation; monitors current events, public opinion, social and political issues, etc. related to the WBG activities in Malaysia, and helps determine strategic responses.
• Writes, edits, and disseminates routine and complex communication products (e.g., media packets, news releases, brochures, Q&As, presentations, briefing notes, online and social media content, speeches, etc.) about the WBG’s activities in Malaysia.
• Manages media outreach and engagement and maintains relationships with influential journalists and opinion leaders across the full range of outreach channels including social media.
• Plans, implements and integrates relevant social media outreach and audience engagement using blogs and other social media platforms.
• Publishes content to appropriate content management systems in compliance with WBG standards and policies; ensures that all online content is optimized for search engines and complies with WBG standards (editorial and technical); establishes key performance indicators and reviews web metrics reports; conducts user research to determine audience needs; acts on audience feedback to improve online content.
Knowledge Management (KM):
• Leads the development and implementation of a knowledge management strategy for the Malaysia office, in collaboration with SEA CMU and Global Practice (GP) teams.
• Facilitates coordination and exchange of information among units within the Malaysia Office, Global Practice teams, and other internal and external parties contributing to or seeking knowledge on Malaysia’s experience with economic and social development, and on Malaysia’s current and expected future economic and social development opportunities and challenges.
• Builds and maintains up-to-date databases of the Bank’s knowledge products, contacts in relevant government agencies and recipient countries; and develops knowledge products (distilling lessons learned, capturing tacit knowledge so it can be shared).
• Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Political science, Communications, International Relations/Public Affairs, Journalism, Marketing, Political Science or other related disciplines, with a minimum of 5 years (with Master’s) or 7 years (with Bachelor’s) of relevant experience.
• Strong, comprehensive knowledge of Malaysia country context, including political landscape, history, economy, and social issues.
• Thorough knowledge of and practical experience in full range of communications approaches essential to planning, executing, and monitoring communications strategies, with specialized knowledge on working with media, civil society and social media.
• Proven track record with designing, planning and implementing knowledge management-related initiatives, including cross-team implementation of programs and events that involve knowledge creation and sharing.
• Excellent writing and editing skills, with a strong command of English and an ability to convey complex ideas in a clear, direct, and lively style; fluency or proficiency in Bahasa Malaysia is essential.
• In-depth knowledge of international trends and political/economic issues related to development; prior work experience with both local and international media is an advantage.
• Demonstrated ability to methodically and efficiently synthesize large volumes of information from diverse sources to compile data and metrics, prepare quantitative and qualitative reports for senior managers and executives.
• Excellent communication skills, with ability to interact diplomatically with clients and staff at all levels; strong diplomatic, interpersonal, and teamwork skills; demonstrated client orientation and ability to build effective working relations with internal and external partners; sensitivity to working in a multicultural environment.
• Ability to juggle multiple tasks under tight deadlines.