Country Safety Officer
Danish Refugee Council, Uganda
Closing Date for Applications:
The country safety officer is responsible for the implementation of the DRC safety risk management system (SRMS) throughout DRC’s areas of operation in Uganda. This is done in close cooperation with the DRC Uganda country director, DRC Uganda area managers and safety focal points, and the regional safety coordinator.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assess safety risks for the DRC Uganda country program to facilitate program delivery. Assessments will be undertaken as described in the DRC organizational handbook.
- Ensure that MOSS and SLS audits (minimum operating safety standards & safely level system) are regularly completed, with the input of the area managers and other senior staff.
- Assist in developing and updating the local safety rules (LSRs), standard operating procedures (SOPs), and critical incident management plans (CIMPs).
- Train local staff and safety focal points (SFPs), including in basic safety training (B-Safe). Train drivers and, where needed, guards at DRC sites.
- Ensure that safety improvement plans (SIPs) are present for all DRC Uganda sites, and kept current.
- Facilitate programme access and continuity through the provision of dependable advice, regular sit-reps, and safety advisories, as needed.
- Maintain relevant safety documentation, such as SOPs, LSRs and CIMPs, plus data and records, including training. The online safety level system will be kept accurate for all program sites.
- Ensure that the pre-arrival safety briefings and LSRs are kept current and shared with all visitors and new staff.
- Processing all travel clearance requests (TCRs) for DRC Uganda.
- Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum two years spent with a humanitarian/development actor, either in a safety/security role or with a strong interest in safety/security.
- Strong analytical and writing skills.
- Experience with delivering safety-related trainings to NGO staff.
- Stable and robust character with good interpersonal, communication and teamwork skills.
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a commitment to humanitarian principles.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Fluency in English.
- Fluency in regional languages, such as Swahili and French, would be an asset.