About the World Bank Group:
Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188-member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally.
The WBG consists of five specialized institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), and the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The World Bank is organized into six client-facing Regional Vice-Presidencies, several corporate functions and thirteen Global Practices to bring best-in-class knowledge and solutions to regional and country clients.
The World Bank Group (WBG) is a vital source of financial and technical assistance to developing countries around the world. The WBG is not a bank in the ordinary sense, but a unique partnership to reduce poverty and support development.
The World Bank Group in India consists of national and international staff and visiting mission staff. This position of Country Security Specialist (CSS) will be located in the World Bank Corporate Office and Service Center in Chennai. The position is within the Corporate Security (GSOCS) division of the Global Corporate Solutions (GCS) of the World Bank Group (WBG).
The incumbent will report to, and receive support and direction from, the Manager of Global Operations in Washington, D.C. through the Senior Security Specialist for South Asia Region (SAR). The incumbent will advise and consult senior management in Corporate Office and Service Center and will discharge his/her assignment under the direct authority of the senior managers.
The incumbent may be required to provide occasional back-up support to WBG Country Offices and other Country Security Specialists in India and the SA Region, and possibly to other geographical regions, and may be required to travel on short notice. In addition, the incumbent will serve in a full-time capacity and on-call for emergencies.
Roles and Responsibilities
The duties of the Country Security Specialist are to provide security support to WBG Corporate and Service Center Office Management and staff in the following areas: a) security risk management; b) security awareness; c) contingency planning; d) protective operations; e) guard force contract management; f) advise staff on residential security; g) provide 24-hour on call emergency security support to Corporate Office and Service Center staff.
Security Risk Management
- Assist Country Office Management and Security Focal Points (SFP) in developing and overseeing the day-to-day conduct of the office security programs and ensuring preparation of adequate responses to security incidents and natural and man-made disasters.
- Provide inputs for the preparation of the Security Risk Assessment for Chennai (Delhi and Mumbai), as may be required from time-to-time.
- Manage the video surveillance, card access and other physical security and fire/life safety systems. Carry out testing and evacuation drills periodically.
- Manage the Service Center’s major security equipment programs (portable items such as handheld/ walk-through metal detectors, package screening devices, communications and ECM equipment and armored vehicles) to include the procurement process when applicable, contract extensions, documentation of non-performance and other issues, certification of invoices, modifications of the contract, training guards and drivers on use of equipment and required reporting and documentation in coordination with Corporate Security through the World Bank headquarters CGSCS Security Specialist for Equipment and the SAR Senior Security Specialist.
- Provide technical security advice to and coordinate with Corporate Real Estate, in consultation with the SAR Senior Security Specialist and headquarters security staff, for all existing facilities and any potential new offices to include site selection, renovation of existing facilities and installation of effective physical and procedural
- security measures.
- Monitor and advise on residential security upgrades for newly acquired and existing residences of international staff.
- Provide general residential security advice to all staff.
- Provide advice on security arrangements at hotels, restaurants, ministries, diplomatic/international organizations and other locations which staff may visit for business or recreation purposes.
- Advise on the implementation of the WBG Road Safety policy in the area of responsibility.
- Liaise with host government security and law enforcement officials as appropriate and with security advisors for diplomatic/international organizations and private security firms to establish a network of contacts.
- Assist staff and visiting missions in reporting incidents (GCS, UNDSS, host government, etc.).
- Ensure country office has a viable system in place to track staff and visiting missions, note arrival/departure/residence changes, log contact details while at the field location, and coordinate with UNDSS and the WBG Security Operations Center,
- including internal UN Security clearance program requirements.
- If necessary, facilitate secure missions to higher-threat locations, by actively participating in internal WBG clearance based on program criticality, ensuring appropriate mitigation and prevention measures are in place, and remaining cognizant of the evolving security environment in the region to accurately gauge appropriate mitigation.
- Represent WBG and GCSCS at security meetings, as appropriate.
- Prepare security program for Headquarters program review.
- Provide newly-arriving staff and visiting missions with practical security advice and contact information in advance of their visit and briefings upon arrival.
- Provide briefings, communications and logistical support for field missions.
- Draft staff security advisories on risk mitigation in response to the general security situation, following significant specific incidents and during periods of heightened risk, with a particular view to missions to Far North Cameroon.
- Conduct periodic security awareness briefings for all staff.
- Deliver or coordinate relevant security training for all staff.
- Assist with the coordination and revisions of the Crisis Management Plan (CMP) on an annual basis or more frequently as required or directed.
- Serve as advisor to or as a member of the Corporate Office and Service Center Crisis Management Teams.
- Maintain and update as necessary all Country Office and Service Center contingency planning material, reference documents and annexes.
- Maintain and coordinate with periodic test the staff telephone tree, warden system and other local contingency plans.
- Organize periodic security and fire/life safety training and briefings for all staff. Conduct appropriate emergency drills (fire, shelter-in-place, and bomb threat).
- Maintain and enhance the Corporate Office and Service Center emergency contact and locator systems and ensure coordination between the Country Office, UNDSS, and the WBG Security Operations Center (SOC).
- Ensure all staff residences, assembly/concentration points, office location, UN offices, and other relevant points are plotted on one google earth.
- Continually assess in-country relocation and out-of-country evacuation options.
- Provide advice on protective operations to include when applicable, the coordination of official vehicle movements, and any special security required for specific movements, locations or individuals; conduct site advance security assessments and coordinate security arrangements.
- Plan emergency response actions in the event of an emergency or a direct or indirect threat to staff. Take proactive measures to prevent involvement in such activities, and perform reactively to avoid/escape from those in progress.
- Arrange the appropriate level of security for visiting senior World Bank officials.
- Arrange continuing or special host government protective services support for staff, visiting missions and facilities as necessary.
- Coordinate security arrangements for World Bank Group sponsored conferences and training events held in Chennai and other countries of responsibility.
- Assist with the development of security policies and procedures to include approved/prohibited locations and to ensure a mechanism is in place to keep staff informed.
Guard Force Contract Management
Support the Management of the Country Office security guard services contracts to include the procurement process, contract extensions, conducting periodic reviews with guard services contract management, certification of invoices, documentation of non-performance and other issues, modifications of the contract and required reporting and documentation in coordination with Corporate Security through the World Bank Headquarters-based GCSCS Security Specialist - Guard Services, and the SAR Senior Security Specialist.
24-Hour on call Emergency Security Support
Provide 24-hour on call emergency support to the responsible WBG Corporate Office and Service Center staff (to include Visiting Mission staff).
Other responsibilities as may be assigned
University degree in relevant discipline (National Security Studies, Risk Management, Police Science or Criminal Justice) at a Bachelor’s level with 5-years professional management experience, or at a Master’s level with three years’ experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is preferred.
- 5 years of progressive experience in security program management with an international or diplomatic organization preferred;
- Knowledge and experience in security program delivery and project implementation, especially in the geographic area of responsibility;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Windows applications, namely, Excel, Word, and Power Point;
- Proven proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing English, Tamil and Hindi. A working knowledge of another local languages would be desirable;
- Willingness to travel to high risk locations on short notice.
- In depth knowledge of the development of security policies and procedures and a general understanding of threat mitigation procedures and high risk operations.
- Ability to develop detailed security advisories and notifications for consideration and implementation by Country Office management.
- Knowledge of the range of protective operations.
- Familiar with basic procurement procedures and project/resource management.
- Required to travel on short notice to high risk locations.
- Clearly and effectively speaks and writes, tailoring language, tone, style and format to different audiences;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members;
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise and is willing to learn from others.
Planning & Organizing
- Identifies priority activities and assignments, adjusting priorities as required;
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning.
- Adheres to organizational rules, regulations and standards;
- Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards.
- Provides services, support,advice, guidance to internal or external clients, and seeks to see things from their points of view;
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.
- Actively seeks to improve programs or services;
- Demonstrates resourcefulness by finding new solutions to address operational or strategic problems.
Commitment to Learning
- Keeps abreast of new occupational/professional developments;
- Contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates;
- Provides constructive security advisory, training, coaching and feedback for others.