Country WASH Advisor
Save the Children, Freetown, Sierra Leone
Closing Date for Applications:
- The WASH Advisor is responsible for all technical aspects of the Sierra Leone WASH program and providing technical oversight on the Ebola response program.
- The WASH Advisor is tasked with external facing work, including liaising with MoWR, MoHS, MEST, UNICEF and other WASH agencies working in Sierra Leone.
- Internally, the WASH Advisor is tasked with liaising with Save the Children's Health, Education, Child Protection and FSL teams to ensure appropriate integrated programming.
Qualifications and experience
- Prior experience of working within a senior management role within a complex country program.
- Education to Masters level in Public Health, Civil or Water Engineering, or a related subject, or equivalent field experience
- Previous experience in an advisory role for a WASH team at national level, including international and national staff members
- Previous experience of WASH project management and program coordination, implementing WASH programs within donor constraints, on time and within budget
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
- Demonstrated monitoring and evaluation skills
- Ability to work both in an advisory and a hands on implementation capacity
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach staff in WASH technical skills
- Experience of representation and ability to represent Save the Children effectively in external forums.
- Experience of preparing successful funding proposals for donors
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong influencing skills and experience in advocacy
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- A high level of written and spoken English
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. In particular, a good understanding of the Save the Children's mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Previous experience and knowledge of West Africa.
- Previous experience of health care facility water, sanitation, wastewater and waste disposal and management.
- Knowledge of Save the Children systems and ways of working.