Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
The work of the NUNV will be focused on knowledge management and the production of COVID-19 specific information products.S/He will work closely with the RCO Communication and Advocacy Officer and the Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting Officer to build the data processes and generate information on the COCID-19 response work of the UN in Afghanistan.S/He will also work closely with the Leads of the RCCE to ensure cohesive messaging and data exchange between the humanitarian and development partners.
The NUNV will be assigned to the RCO, and work under the guidance of the Head/RC Office and daily supervision of the Communication and Advocacy Officer.The NUNV will work from 15 November 2020 through 30 June 2021.
The common responsibilities are:
- Ensures clear, coherent and consistent communication about the role, strategic focus and activities of the UN in Afghanistan in response to COVID-19
- Supports internal communication among UN agencies
- Monitoring of social media platforms and production of content for increased followership, in partnership with the RCO officers
- Well written/quality reports, briefs and other materials that enhance external communication on the UN COVID-19 response
- The UNV COVID-19 Knowledge Management Officer (KMO) will undertake the following tasks:
The incumbent will be responsible to:
- Develop with the CAO a One UN COVID-19 communication plan for the promotion of the UN response to COVID-19, working in close consultation with the UNCG and RCCE WG.
- Increase coverage and understanding of the UN’s COVID-19 response in Afghanistan – e.g. develop factsheets, stories from the field, best practices that inform and engage the general public.
- Keep abreast of the COVID-related activities of all the UN Agencies, Funds and Programmes operational in Afghanistan and support the promotion UN advocacy activities related to them.
- With the CAO, create, promote and maintain public information campaigns on the COVID-19 response, etc.
- Provide content management support on COVID (consistency of materials, translations etc.) to the CAO for the One UN website ensuring accuracy of information prior to posting, making sure that relevant information is clearly presented, relevant and continuously updated.
- Manage social media under the guidance of the CAO in line with corporate web and social media policy; monitor the effectiveness of social media.
- Prepare translations of documents in Dari/Pashto as requested.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
- Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
- University degree (Bachelors or equivalent) in Communications, Media, Journalism, Literature, Arts, Social Sciences, Humanities, Political Science or related field.
Required experience: 24 Months
- English(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise: Journalism, mass media and broadcasting, Public information and reporting
Area of expertise details:
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience in communications or related field is required.
- Good understanding and familiarity of the current development and humanitarian situation in Afghanistan, particularly COVID-19.
- Experience in the usage of media technology, social media for public information, and knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems is an asset.
- UN experience desirable.
- Good writing and editorial skills
Driving license: No