FHI 360 is a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways Our staff includes experts in health, social marketing, communication, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Creative Director, Design Lab.
Design Lab is FHI 360’s in-house creative studio housed in the U.S. Programs’ Social Marketing and Communication department. The Design Lab Creative Director will be responsible for leading and managing the design team, which specializes in print design, web design/development, digital communication, and illustration. While most staff are based in FHI 360's DC office, a few staff work remotely. The Design Lab Creative Director will (1) provide creative direction and quality control for a range of print and digital communications, including reports, advertisements, manuals, websites, videos, and keynote presentations; (2) advise FHI 360’s subject-matter experts about effective visual communication formats and channels; (3) develop proposals and participate in new business efforts related to design services; (4) engage with internal and external clients on FHI 360 projects as needed. This position is based onsite in Washington, DC.
- Manage and advocate for a thriving creative team comprised of graphic designers, web designers, art directors, and a studio manager.
- Responsible for leading the effort to capture new business inside and outside of the organization.
- Develop proposals to grow Design Lab’s internal and external client base
- Build and sustain client relationships
- Conceptualize, design, layout and/or provide creative direction for a variety of materials including reports, brand identities, brochures, new business proposals, and digital communications
- Working alongside the team to further develop quality control protocols
- Support the professional development of the team, including ongoing feedback, coaching, and career support
- In conjunction with Art Directors, provide creative direction to subcontractors, printing firms, or production companies
- Manage project budgets and estimates working closely with the Studio Manager
Management and leadership:
- Proven experience leading a successful creative unit
- Act as an institutional ambassador for the value of good design
- Ability to work with a range of clients, internal and external, working in FHI 360’s various country offices
- Represent and promote Design Lab internally and externally
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Fluency with print and digital design, brand development and marketing
- Astute sense of effective business and communications principles
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Up-to-date with innovations in design, media and technology
- Familiar with 508 compliance regulations
- Copywriting skills
- Reports to the Director of the Social Marketing and Communication department within FHI 360’s US Programs unit
- Supports company-wide initiatives in collaboration with Corporate Communications and Digital Solutions, as needed
- Sets goals and budgets for Design Lab staff
- Assures that quality control standards are upheld
Education: Bachelor's degree or international equivalent in graphic design, design management or related field.
- Minimum of 8 years industry experience.
- Minimum of 5 (6-10 preferred) years’ experience in a management, supervisory and leadership capacity within a creative unit.
- Able to thrive in a diverse, fast-paced organization
- Demonstrate fluency with effective design and media technologies
- Must demonstrate a solid portfolio demonstrating strategic thinking and technical design skills
- Expertise in relevant design and/or coding programs
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Prior experience with new business development an advantage
- Prior work experience with US government or international development clients, an advantage