The humanitarian needs in Mozambique’s Cabo Delgado region are quickly escalating and bringing significant instability and vulnerability to the affected population. In response to the crisis, FHI 360 will implement an integrated program that provides life-saving and sustainable activities under health, protection, and WASH that will meet the critical needs of the affected communities.
FHI 360’s Crisis Response team is seeking a Response Coordinator responsible for leading FHI 360’s humanitarian response efforts in Mozambique’s Cabo Delgado region. The Response Coordinator is responsible for the overall leadership and management of all aspects of the project, including overseeing programs, operations, security, financial and administrative properties to achieve the project’s objectives and ensure timely delivery of the program. The Response Coordinator will establish and maintain relationships with government officials at the national, provincial, and local levels. They will also represent FHI 360 to donors, partners, and other local and international stakeholders. Serving as the head of office, the incumbent will manage personnel, build capacity of direct reports, and ensure that the program meets its target on time, budget, and scope.
Based in Pemba, this duty station has been designated as high risk or extreme risk and poses a heightened risk or direct threat to personal safety. Applicants should research this location and the associated risks before submitting an application. The position is envisioned for an initial 10-month period.
- The Response Coordinator is ultimately responsible for meeting the project’s deliverables throughout the lifetime of the project.
- Assume overall responsibility for all aspects of the humanitarian response including management of programs, personnel, logistics, security, fundraising, external representation and transition planning.
- Provide direct technical input in the development and dissemination of tools, protocols and interventions for programmatic activities.
- Lead the refinement of program implementation to identify areas for improvement and propose appropriate technical strategy and guidance.
- Oversee quality and consistency of programs through on-site monitoring to ensure and enhance program effectiveness and quality.
- Design and develop response and/or regional strategy for expansion of programmatic activities. With the support of the Response Coordinator for Programs, lead and coordinate the various sectors to ensure achievement of project objectives and the realignment of program activities as needed.
- Represent FHI 360 and the project as the most senior member of the in-country team to external stakeholders.
- Manage relationships with host country governments, NGO counterparts and other external stakeholders.
- Develop strong working relationships with contacts in the host government and the donor community through both formal and informal channels.
- Advocate with and/or advise peer agencies, local governments, donors and other stakeholders to influence responses to promote delivery of inclusive and high-quality humanitarian services.
- Oversee and ensure compliance with FHI 360 policy, procedures and practices throughout the program; recommend country or emergency specific policy/procedures as required.
- Coordinate with country office (if applicable) and Headquarters (HQ) to troubleshoot any issues; make recommendations for corrective actions.
- Provides leadership and team building.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge and application of Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) and Sphere standards and Red Cross/NGO Code of Conduct.
- Experience working with Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance(BHA) and US Department of State Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (State/PRM) preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and display evidence of good leadership and influencing skills.
- Ability to interact professionally with culturally and linguistically diverse staff and clients.
- English fluency required; fluency in Portuguese a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and be comfortable participating both as an effective contributor and a listener in group settings which include senior staff.
- Well-organized, resourceful, effective and efficient at coordinating multiple resources to get things done and must have proven track record of successfully working on multiple tasks at once and foresees and plan around obstacles.
- Demonstrated sensitivity in diverse, cross cultural settings.
- Demonstrated experience in multi-sector project management and implementation.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of complex scope that require analysis and in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- Erroneous decisions or recommendations may cause critical delays or modifications to projects or operations.
- Ability to exercise judgment that contributes to the organization’s business strategies and develops objectives that align with department’s strategic goals.
- Must be able to provide accurate, expert level advice to reach outcomes that will enable achievement of overall department and organization goals.
- Demonstrates a responsive, professional attitude that is solution oriented.
- Decisions and actions have a serious impact on the overall success of the function.
- Regularly interacts with senior management and HQ based staff.
- Leads by “managing managers” or other direct/indirect reports in the region/functional area.
- Ability to motivate, mentor, and empower individuals to achieve expectations and goals set for the functional unit.
- Provide input on country/project staff performance reviews.
- In coordination with senior management, hire/terminates country/project staff.
- Reports to the Crisis Response Director.
- Bachelor's Degree or its International Equivalent in Economics, Education, Environment, Health, Human Development, Information Science, International Development, Social Sciences or Related Field.
- Master or other advanced degree preferred.
- Certification in project management preferred.
- Typically requires at least 5 to 8 (preferred) years leading complex on-site emergency response projects and/or programs.
- Experience establishing startup operations/projects in new countries preferred.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private company of progressive program management experience in humanitarian assistance or related industry experience in a relevant technical area.