The Danish Refugee Council initiated its activities in the island of Lesvos in November 2015 due to the unprecedented influx of asylum seekers. Following new political developments and displacement dynamics in early 2016, DRC expanded its activities to the mainland to support the people living in several sites across the country. With offices in Athens, Larissa and Thessaloniki, it currently implements a wide range of activities, including Site Management Support, legal assistance, identification of individual needs and protection of highly vulnerable persons, access to services within and outside the hosting sites through cultural mediation, and non-formal education. DRC works closely with the refugee communities, the Greek authorities and other humanitarian actors to ensure a protective environment for refugees and asylum seekers in Greece
DRC Greece is looking to recruit a qualified, flexible and enthusiastic professional to work for its Office in Larissa, Central Greece as a Cultural Mediator. Under the supervision of the Integration Learning Center Team Leader and in close cooperation with the Integration Learning Center Assistant and the educators, the Cultural Mediator, will provide support to the implementation of non-formal education activities for migrant and refugee children and adults.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Under the managerial supervision of Integration Learning Center Team Leader, the Cultural Mediator will support the ILC staff and educators in implementing a high-quality integration programme, age and culturally appropriate and in line with youth and adult needs.
The main responsibilities include:
- Support the ILC staff in the implementation of non-formal education activities for youth and adults;
- Support educators and CFS Facilitators in implementing culturally appropriate educational activities based on age, knowledge and individual needs of children, youth and adults;
- Provide appropriate and relevant information to refugees regarding formal and non-formal education opportunities available;
- Provide cultural mediation/interpretation when necessary;
- Assist with short translation tasks, if required and relevant
- Assist the Integration Learning Center Team leader or educators in administrative tasks when relevant to position and skills;
- Assist in the facilitation of joint events with children and adults from both communities, refugees and host, for community harmonization;
- Contribute to the reinforcement of existing communication with persons of concern throughout DRC;
- Report any potential protection issues/risks identified in the Integration Learning Center to her/his supervisor;
- In addition to the above, the Cultural Mediator may be asked to carry out other duties requested by the Integration Learning Center Team Leader and Assistant.
- Strong verbal and written Arabic and/or French and/or Kurdish skills;
- Good verbal and written English is required. Knowledge of Greek is an added advantage;
- At least one year working experience in a related field; previous working experience with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage;
- Experience of community-based or community mobilisation work in a humanitarian context is a strong advantage;
- Experience in providing recreational activities to children (drama, play, games, circus, sport, storytelling, drawing/painting, artistic activities, music, dancing) will be highly appreciated;
- Computer skills;
- High professional ethics.