The General Accounts Branch (RMFG) of Finance and Treasury Division (RMF) promotes transparency and accountability by managing general accounting, financial performance, oversight and financial reporting to multiple internal and external stakeholders. It prepares organizational financial statements, develops and maintains financial tools and guidance, reports to WFP’s Executive Board and senior management on financial matters, provides accounting and technical advice and supports external audit process.
In performing its financial accounting, financial management and oversight role, RMF, and RMFG specifically, recognizes an imperative role of a well-conceived and structured financial management reporting focused on forward-looking, insightful financial and other operational information to steer decision-making at all organizational levels.
This job is located in Rome, Italy and reports to the Chief, Financial Accounting and Donor Reporting.
Under the supervision of the Chief, Financial Accounting and Donor Reporting and in consultations with relevant business process owners, the Data Analyst (Finance)’s responsibilities include conducting full analysis of the existing financial management lifecycle and reporting in order to identify the needs gaps to achieve the above purpose of the assignment. Based on such analysis, the Data Analyst (Finance) will be required to identify improvements, prepare business requirements, including required system changes, design new reports/dashboard visualization tools for all-inclusive and insightful financial performance management.
On part of regular on-going responsibilities, financial data analyst will be required to:
- Interpret data, analyze results using statistical techniques and generate financial reports to meet changing requirements and ad-hoc requests;
- Acquire data from primary or secondary data sources and develop financial databases, data collection systems, data analytics and other strategies that optimize efficiency and quality of financial information;
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex financial data sets, integrated with operational data, where required, to provide insightful information;
- Build predictive models and algorithms based on insights from data trends analysis;
- Design and present information using data visualization techniques;
- Filter inconsistencies and identify potential data and/or process problems by reviewing reports and developed financial performance indicators;
- Work with RMFG and RMF management to prioritize business and information needs;
- In close coordination with other RMFG team members, review all ad-hoc and non-standard reporting requirements in the branch. Compile the compendium of all gaps in reporting needs and coordinate submission of reporting requirements to relevant functions in RMF (RMFS) and in TEC.
- Work closely with colleague groups/es from other business divisions, where necessary, to collect, synthesize and validate business and data rules.
- Analyze business processes and make recommendations on business process improvements based on better leveraging of technology and/or better data use.
- Keep appraised of latest technological advances, changes in accounting and auditing standards, and UN wide requirements to align RMFG’s reporting and analytical needs with changes in the environment and best practices.
- Other accountabilities, as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Education: Advanced University degree in a Mathematics, Economics, Information Management, Statistics or relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience.
- Experience: Minimum 5 years of relevant progressively responsible experience as a financial or business data analyst.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyse, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy;
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analysing datasets (Excel, SAS/STAT, etc.);
- Technical expertise regarding data models, database design development, data mining and segmentation techniques;
- Adept at queries, report writing and presenting findings.
- Ability to present data using data visualization tools.
- Previous experience in analytics work in Financial Data would be an asset.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to present analytical information in an easily understandable format to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in managing, supervising and coaching staff is desirable.
- Ability to perform under pressure, to multi-task, to navigate through multiple priorities and conflicting requests;
- Ability to work independently through appropriate personal initiative and regular follow-ups;
- Collaborative hands-on team member and relationship-builder with a facilitative nature and strong business partnering skills towards colleagues and stakeholders;
- Positive and resilient, passionate about change and driven to exceeding client’s expectations through exceptional delivery.
Language: International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.