Background Information - Job-specific
This position is located in the Operations Support Division, Office of Information and Communications Technology (OICT/OSD) in New York. The Office of Information and Communications Technology (OICT) provides enterprise-wide oversight of ICT programmes, budgets and decision-making to ensure alignment with the Secretariat's overall ICT strategy in support of the Organization's mission. OICT is also responsible for the delivery of applications that satisfy the requirements of the UN Secretariat, field missions and other DOS supported entities. OICT has implemented a range of systems and analytical tools to address the principal requirements of its clients to support and enhance the processes UN undertakes.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat. The incumbent of this position will be a personnel of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent will directly work under designated officer and will be responsible for:
Assist in building and integrating corporate data solutions derived from multiple data sources to enable insight and decision-making at various levels using visualization and analytics tools;
- Perform data profiling by leveraging large and diverse datasets for analysis or testing efforts, with multiple/multi-type table joins, multiple keys, and nested queries;
- Perform ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner;
- Implement any software required for accessing, handling, processing and analyzing data appropriately;
- Implement data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems;
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis;
- Analyse a broad range of existing data sources;
- Assist in developing data models, including performance measures, to enable scorecard analysis;
- Assist in developing documentation and training materials;
- Assist Analytics and Reporting Specialist with data related problems;
- Perform other duties as required.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
The result of work of the Data Engineering Assistant impacts directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Department as well as the performance of the services implemented in the DFS/DPKO field missions and headquarters. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor's degree or technical/professional diploma in Applied Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Computer Science, Information Systems / Technology, Engineering or related field is an asset or advantage.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of Information and Communications Technologies, Engineering or other related fields is required. A candidate with a Bachelor's degree must have at least one (1) year of experience in the relevant area. A candidate who has a technical /professional diploma must have at least three (3) years of experience in the relevant area;
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience with Microsoft SQL Server is required;
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in development, implementation and maintenance of data integration solutions using Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services or similar tools;
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in development and/or integration using Application Program Interfaces (APIs) and Representational State Transfer (REST) services;
- Experience in programming with C# and .Net;
- Experience with MS SQL Server Analysis and Reporting Services;
- Experience with Power BI, DAX, advanced Excel Formulas and Power Query;
- Experience with the following Office365 tools: Flow, Forms, PowerApps and SharePoint;
- Knowledge of data science packages such as R and Python;
- Should have a good data intuition. Should be good at identifying patterns in the data;
- English and French are the working languages of the UN;
- For this job opening, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required;
- Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.