The AFRO Transformation Agenda Implementation (TAI) Unit in conjunction with Account & Finance Management (AFM) Unit has embarked on a cost consciousness and cost management initiative in WHO in the African Region. The intervention is part of the consolidation and institutionalization phase of the Transformation Agenda Initiative, which is aimed at utilizing proven cost management strategies to strengthen existing good practices and processes to deliver best-in-class business and administrative operations in a cost-conscious manner.
The expected cost management improvements from this initiative would not only lead to the optimization and increase in efficiency but will also enhance productivity and consequently, reduce costs in WHO AFR operations. Furthermore, the initiative will promote a cost consciousness mindset among WHO workforce in the African Region to continuously look for value in all WHO AFR’s activities and their daily work.
As a result of the initiative, both new (data from survey and interviews) and historical (financial and non-financial) data is being collected and will be analysed to help identify key areas of consolidation and standardization that require management attention. On this basis, WHO AFR seeks to recruit a data management consultant that will assist in the collection and analysis of these data.
Objectives and scope of work.
The overall objective of the consultancy is to gather, examine and determine data for use in the analysis of cost consciousness and management. Specific objectives include:
- Collect, compile and analyse varieties of data which include both financial and non-financial data but not limited to these two categories;
- Review, verify and examine data sets for comprehensiveness, accuracy, clarity, and validity;
- Liaise with the respective units in data collection and verification;
- Prepare and perform quality control on data from different sources using appropriate standard techniques to ensure the integrity of the data;
- Act as a technical resource person with respect to data and any available data analysis software in advising data users of how to access, utilize, integrate data, and present analyses for reporting, decision-making, planning and presentation purpose.
- Source all the necessary data and information required for the cost consciousness initiative.
- Create and maintain an accurate database to be used for cost management analysis, including inputting and correcting data, determining formats, appraising current developments, updating sources, and ensuring data integrity.
- Produce analysis from the variety of available data as required.
- Perform all specific tasks related to data as required.
Qualifications, experience, and skills required
- University degree in accounting, finance, business administration, information management or data analytics.
- At least 5 years of experience in data collection, data management as well as maintenance of information system databases.
- Knowledge of Windows Operating System, considerable practical experience in the use of electronic data analysis tools and with data visualization tools.
- Familiar with accounting and finance principles, systems and software.
- Computer skills are essential especially on MS Word, Excel.
- Fluent in oral and written English or French.
- Able to work independently and in an organised manner.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, teamwork and communication skills.
- Experience working with international organisations.
- Experience working with the private sector.