Data management intern-Systems Development will be part of the LINKAGES M&E team, focusing specifically on strengthening the data management system, collection and reporting. S/He will support the development and management of the Database for managing the program data, trouble shooting and modification to meet the project M&E requirements and support the Implementing Partners in the system use. S/He will lead the design and maintenance of a comprehensive information resource for programs and reporting of complex information. Provide advice on software and hardware needs. He/she will participate in other activities related to HMIS, research, targeted evaluation, surveillance surveys and monitoring and evaluation as well as provide assistance and training to system users. The position contributes to the implementation of M&E activities in accordance with guidelines stipulated by USAID and GOK and regularly updates project staff on progress towards implementation of the work plan and designing M&E methods for demonstrating program outcomes and impact.
Database Design and Development:
- Develop new and/or adapt existing computerized performance reporting systems, including enhanced user interfaces and compatibility across reporting systems using Java, Access, Visual Basic and/or SQL in response to meet project information needs
- Install developed applications, writes application manuals, and train users. Provides ongoing maintenance and support to users of database applications.
- Provides assistance to staff in database design based on technical knowledge of field.
- Provides adequate documentation of database applications.
- Perform needs assessment and works with Senior Project officers at project and implementing partner level to determine feasibility of development of new databases and enhancements or modifications to existing databases
- Develops and ensures adherence to data management policies e.g. USG to assure the security and confidentiality in project data.
- Monitors staff compliance with confidentiality policies to assure that security standards are met.
- Develop program performance Dashboards Cascade
Maintains project databases for routine data, reporting data quality and service quality assessments:
- Modification and/or customization of existing data management tools to suit program need (DHIS2 based platform)
- Monitors and optimizes database design, content, structure and other management issues.
- Performs backup and recovery of all databases. Takes appropriate measures to ensure the Data safety and data security
- Develop SOPs and protocols for database management; develop user guide.
- Recommends hardware and software upgrades to the database server as needed.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by the Supervisor
REQUIREMENTS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES:
- Experience in database development, management of information systems and health informatics
- Experience in developing mobile applications
- Experience using new online technologies for knowledge sharing and collaboration is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience assessing users’ data needs and designing user-friendly IT solutions to promote strategic decision-making throughout the project life cycle.
- Experience in training users on databases
- Keen to maintain data security and data quality systems
- Good planning and organizational skills
- Tact and diplomacy in dealing with implementing partners
- Experience working with DHIS2 platform is highly recommended
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- On-going student pursuing degree in Computer Science, Health informatics, Mathematics or a related field or just graduated or awaiting graduation having completed course work OR pursuing Advanced Diploma in Software design or related areas.
- Professional experience in database design and development using SQL (MySQL, MSSQL, JavaDB, PostgreSQL).
- Advanced skills in at least two of the following statistical packages: SPSS, Epi Info, Stata.
- Computer proficiency in word processing, Excel, and Ms Access
- Knowledge and/or experience with open source software (ODK, DHIS2, Kobo Toolbox) is an added advantage
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge through informal and formal trainings.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.