About FHI 360:
FHI 360 is a non-profit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology; creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of GIS Assistant
(IHSAN project) based in Afghanistan.
The Initiative for Hygiene, Sanitation, and Nutrition (IHSAN) is a five-year project whose goal is to assisting the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GIRoA), civil society organizations (CSOs), and the private sector to carry out and scale up evidence-based nutrition and water, hygiene, and sanitation (WASH) interventions that will improve the nutritional status of women and children less than five years old. Specific project objectives include enhancing capacity to institutionalize nutrition programs, increasing adoption of optimal nutrition and hygiene behaviors at community and household levels; and increasing availability of nutrition, in the remaining 24 provinces IHSAN will provide system level support and improve capacity of nutrition services providers, hygiene, and sanitation services and products increased. The project will focus on the 10 provinces with poorest nutritional indicators based on the 2014 national nutrition assessment. Recognizing that significant variations in health situations exist between districts and sub-districts in each province, we will promote improved nutrient intake and awareness and improved sanitation and hygiene practices by working with provincial health authorities and communities to strive toward improved coverage in priority areas.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
- Effective use of organizing Database System and able to identify errors and report the issues.
- Able to conduct data quality check and able to plan and priorities day to day activities.
- Quality Assurance and Quality Control of IHSAN subcontractor’s monthly reports and provide feedback to Senior Data/GIS officer
- Keep the IHSAN Database system update with the monthly reports of subcontractor
- Capable of using Data visualization tool to show/visualize the productivity of IHSAN subcontractor
- Provide Database training to IHSAN subcontractors and IHSAN staff if required
- Coordinate any Data issue with Senior Data/GIS officer and MoPH and PND department if required
- Maintain a good filing system for all data related activities
- Keep track of workshop/meetings/training and filling the attendance for events
- Assist the M&E department with any data issues and reporting
- Assist with the data entry of AfghanInfo in USAID portal
- Assist with data entry in the IHSAN database if required
- Maintain and troubleshoot IHSAN Database cloud and servers.
- Make sure that IHSAN data portal is updated.
- Troubleshoot IHSAN Data management panel software.
- Provide data and descriptive analysis of data upon requests.
- Backup data and ensure data quality.
- Write SQL, DAX and Python language queries to extract data from database servers upon request.
- Build reports from data upon request.
- Quarterly data entry into USAID INFO/AFGHAN INFO portal.
- Make new database forms and Make changes to current database forms (XLSForms) upon request.
- Make sure that data is correctly synced with the Kobo Toolbox and IHSAN database through KoboCAT APIs.
- Data cleaning and descriptive analysis of data.
- Any Other tasks assigned by supervisor.
- Provide assistance and recommendations on Database system.
- Responsible for all Database day to day activities, data discrepancy in the system
- Leads the development, implementation and training of staff in Database.
- Provides recommendations for improvements with data collection and systems and takes corrective action.
- Works with staff to resolve GIS data discrepancies during data verification and validation.
- Responsible of protection of data against unauthorized access or corruption and to ensure data integrity.
- Report to Senior Data/GIS Officer.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Good Knowledge of SQL, DAX and python language.
- Good Knowledge of Software development, debugging and testing.
- Good Knowledge of ODK and KoboToolbox server management, form building (Using xlsForm) and Usage of KoboCAT APIs.
- Good Knowledge of Database server and cloud server management.
- Good Knowledge of using advanced spreadsheet formula and functions.
- Basic Statistical analysis
- Good knowledge of concepts, procedures, and practices with ArcGIS.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Good quantitative and analytical skills.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to analyze and interpret GIS data, identify errors and prepare reports.
- Ability to influence, motivate and collaborate with others.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science.
- Certifications in Database development and software developing are preferred.
- Requires 3-5 years of Database management and database development experience.
- Proficiency in spreadsheet and other MS office software and other technology required.
- Able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone,
- printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.
- Travel Requirements: Up to 20%
- This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.