This job is for you:
- If you have one or more field experiences in the humanitarian or development field and want to specialize more in the use of new technologies
- or "conversely" an experience in data management and would like to put your skills to the service of international solidarity projects
- If you have knowledge and skills in data protection or failing that a very strong appetite for this subject
- If you like to understand the needs and constraints of international solidarity projects and support them on their data management
- If you aspire to work in a position that requires a strong intellectual curiosity, a capacity for self-learning, as well as a great rigor
- If you like being part of a multidisciplinary technical team
Created in 2006, CartONG is an association under the 1901 law of the “H2H” type (Humanitarians to Humanitarians, that is to say an NGO working in support of other NGOs) specializing in cartography at the service of humanitarian and development organizations. Our core business is geographic information, but over the years we have extended it to other tools (data collection on mobiles, information management, satellite imagery, drones, etc.).
Our activities consist of supporting NGOs and international humanitarian organizations by providing them with tools, services and training enabling them to better plan, implement and evaluate their programs; in other words: to improve the impact of humanitarian aid on vulnerable populations. We pay particular attention to training national teams in the field and working with local communities, in order to implement projects that are sustainable and truly meet the needs and priorities of the individuals and communities we support.
We work with local, national and international organizations, in particular with NGOs specializing in emergencies and development as well as UN agencies (MSF, UNHCR, AFD, Terre des hommes: full list available here ). CartONG is growing and today brings together an international team of about twenty employees as well as about fifty active volunteers.
Our head office is located in Chambéry - close to Lyon and Geneva, and their international airports. Chambéry is a student and family city, pleasant to live in, located in the heart of the French Alps and surrounded by the Bauges and Chartreuse massifs.
We are currently looking for a replacement for our Data Protection Officer (DPO) and specialist in information management.
The position combines two functions: on the one hand that of Data Protection Officer (DPO), which he / she will exercise independently, in conjunction with the management of the association. On the other hand, functions of specialist in information management, by integrating the “Information Management & Mobile Data Collection (MDC)” pole of CartONG.
As DPO (around 50% of working time), the person's main mission will be to ensure that the association respects the legal and ethical framework relating to personal data. He / she will be supported in his / her efforts by other employees such as members of the management committee as well as by existing data protection focal points. He / she will benefit from the actions carried out since 2018 by this team and in particular by the previous DPO and will have upon his arrival a clear roadmap of the priorities to be implemented and a diagnosis of the strengths and weaknesses of the co-organization. - carried out with an external consultant in 2019.
As an information management specialist (around 50%), he / she will be in charge of supporting CartONG's partners for the design, deployment and management of their data collection and analysis tools, necessary for the implementation of their activities in the field. As an information management specialist with the dual function of DPO, he / she will be particularly responsible for supporting partners on their data protection issues (carrying out training, consulting etc.) and in terms of developing the the association's service offer to its partners in terms of data protection.
In this context, its missions are:
- Inform and raise awareness, disseminate a culture of confidentiality and data protection within CartONG
- Ensure compliance with the legal framework
- Advise employees and issue internal notes, documented opinions and recommendations in terms of the protection of personal data.
- Being involved in particular in the following activities:
- AIPD - Data Protection Impact Analysis
- Implementation of data protection by design and data protection by default.
- Notification of data breaches to the supervisory authority or partners and, where applicable, communication to the persons concerned.
- Relations with partners / data processors in the context of reporting, requests, contractual and operational negotiations, etc. on the data protection component.
- Be in contact with the DPOs of the association's partners.
- To be consulted before the implementation of a new type of data processing or the substantial modification of an existing data processing and to make recommendations.
- Inform the association of the risks that a project could represent and make recommendations
- Analyze, investigate, audit, control
- Assess the Association's degree of compliance.
- Highlight any non-conformities.
- Check compliance with the legal framework or the correct application of procedures, methods or guidelines relating to the protection of personal data.
- Establish and maintain documentation (including register) relating to accountability
- Mediate with the people concerned
- Submit an annual report
- Interact with the supervisory authority (CNIL)
Information management specialist (50%)
Implementation of information management projects
- Implement information management projects for CartONG's partners (depending on current projects): configuration / testing of data collection, management and analysis tools and technical support.
- Provide technical and methodological documentation for the staff of our partners: tutorials, manuals, training modules, procedures, blog posts, studies etc.
- As needed, carry out research and compilation of analyzes on the sector's information management strategies, practices and needs
- Design and run face-to-face or remote training.
Other CartONG projects and activities
- Participate in activities supporting the associative mission of CartONG when possible and relevant: discuss with the board of directors and other members. Especially during events such as get-togethers, green days, internal training. Support the projects of volunteers and projects concerning the structure in general.
- Contribute to events and workshops organized by CartONG such as GeOnG.
- Proactively participate in the association's communication by writing news and blog articles, as well as through other media. Represent CartONG during events and conferences.
- The person can be deployed for short-term field missions (1 to 4 weeks maximum) as well as for training in Europe (5% to 10% of the total time).
The position requires availability and flexibility, two characteristics inherent in the context of emergency humanitarian organizations (late work, emergency situation).
Qualification : Master (Bac + 5) in any relevant field: Assessment, Mathematics, Social Sciences, Economics, Computer Science, Geography, Political Sciences, Law, etc.
- Additional (continuous) training in data protection and the DPO function is a definite asset.
Professional experience : Minimum 3 years of professional experience, if possible in the humanitarian or development sector and / or in a function relating to the management of data and / or new technologies. Experiences related to data protection are highly desirable.
- Knowledge of information technology and IT in general, and significant experience in data management processes (collection, cleaning, analysis ...) with digital tools.
- Knowledge of law (or great appetite for it), in particular applicable law and data protection practices.
- Excellent writing skills in French AND English and proven experience in writing (report, recommendations, procedures…).
- Very good adaptability to different audiences (beginner, advanced, etc.) for the design of documents or training (teaching skills) and experience in the design and implementation of awareness and training actions.
- Experience in procedural writing.
- Basic knowledge of the technical environment of data management in the humanitarian and development sector (Excel, relational databases, etc.), BI (PowerBI, Qlik, Tableau, etc.), GIS (Arcgis, QGIS, etc.) data visualization, MDC (Kobo, ODK, SurveyCTO…), web development etc. Advanced mastery of Excel remains a technical prerequisite.
- Mastery of other information management tools than Excel: relational databases…, BI (PowerBI, Qlik, Tableau…), data visualization tools, MDC (Kobo, ODK, SurveyCTO…) and concepts and methodologies related to transversal approaches to information management: open data, crowdsourcing, agile approach, etc.
- Experience in contractual project management.
- Strong sensitivity to new technologies and its challenges in the area of international solidarity.
- Able to quickly understand the needs of partners.
- Excellent organizational skills and autonomy: ability to understand problems and make decisions, proven track record of meeting commitments.
- Ability to be in an advisory position.
- Strong communication and pedagogical skills and ease in interpersonal relationships (you will work with people from a distance, with people of different origins and cultures, with people whose mother tongue is not always French or French. 'English, etc.).
- Confidentiality and discretion.
- Objectivity and impartiality.
- Ability to adapt, ingenuity and ability to work well under pressure and, when necessary, during missions, in risky environments with difficult living conditions.
- In accordance with CartONG's values (discover our associative project to find out more).