Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The selected candidate will work in the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) sub-team, situated in the Program Effectiveness (PE) division within the Mission Effectiveness Department. This team manages a large portfolio of data products and platforms, including Heifer International’s Global Indicators (GI) database, country databases, and other topical databases. The PE team also manages data quality procedures for analytical data collection. The team is responsible for Heifer’s global reporting, supporting country and project offices in their data collection efforts, and Heifer’s general data collection system regarding data collection, review, and sharing workflow.
The PE team is currently developing a work plan to streamline and modernize the entire pipeline for its data products and modernize its monitoring report outs. The primary goals are to increase efficiency, improve data quality, and standardize reporting. On the user side, the long-term goal is to make measurable improvements data users can access and the quality of reports, including leading database infrastructure development and reporting analysis. We are looking for an individual with a strong understanding of the latest tool and approaches to data analysis and use, a track record of innovation, and a dedication to user outreach and satisfaction.
The Data Quality and Assurance Manager will be accountable for a range of monitoring and evaluation processes. From validating data and leading monitoring reporting, including bi-annual project progress reports and annual Global Indicator reports, to running statistical analyses and creating dashboards visualizations to tell clear stories and allowing Heifer staff to explore the data, we are looking for a data scientist with well-rounded skills and experience with current tools and approaches for modernizing Heifer’s entire data production and use chain. The selected candidate will be a technical expert with specific duties related to data reporting, data documentation and storage, data management and use, promoting data use.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Result oriented, Self-starter, positive attitude, stellar communications, collaborative, creative, organized, team-oriented, effective manager, and realistic with timelines and deliverables.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
Lead high-quality data reporting (30%)
- Produce periodic standard reporting as well as request specific reporting, including data collection, data analysis, data visualization, and reporting.
- Responsible for high-quality data stored in Heifer’s databases and electronic files.
- Develop and effectively implement field monitoring tools for data quality assurance, including standardizing methodologies for reviewing, approving/rejecting, consolidating, and reporting on the data.
- Create a clearly defined process for informing project stakeholders and follow-up data collection when the data is not in-line with the expected results.
- Complete timely and high-quality progress and GI reporting, including documentation of procedures for quality assuring Heifer’s monitoring data for each Heifer project.
Develop data documentation and storage (25%)
- Responsible for progress data at the project and organization levels, including the documentation of data structures at both levels and the updating as needed for project and HQ teams to use.
- Responsible for developing databases for data de-identification and storing all project data over time.
- Ensure that data is in a format that can be easily lifted and used for revenue and programmatic needs.
Lead data management and use (15%)
- Serve as primary curator and point of contact for Heifer country and project staff, including leading through the initial data deposit process, and facilitating routine updates to data and metadata.
- Organize and tag quantitative and qualitative data to facilitate easy future access.
- Create code-based tools and approaches (using tools like Excel, PowerBi, SPSS, Stata, and SurveyCTO) to perform data wrangling and quality review, as well as streamline the collection and sharing of data.
- Develop training curriculum on best practices and standards concerning data management, dissemination, and metadata for project data, including a focus on high-quality data production and review.
Promote data use (15%)
- Survey data producers and users to understand pain points in the data production and use cycle.
- Develop visualizations and other bespoke services to provide value-added data dissemination.
- Deliver presentations to Heifer staff and other audiences on the availability and use of Heifer data.
- Develop ideas for the continuous improvement of data tools, data collection platforms, and databases, including dashboards for projects and the whole organization.
Build organizational staff capacity in the field and across departments to up-grade the MERL functions to include Heifer developing areas (10%)
- Ensure that HQ and field teams own and implement standard data collection practices within all projects. Provide a key mentorship role for MEL staff who support field staff growth and improvement.
- Ensure that MEL staff effectively provide service to field teams by soliciting feedback from the field and HQ teams bi-annually at a minimum.
- Develop the internal capacity to participate in industry-led forums and think-tanks regarding monitoring and evaluation systems and its growth industry-wide including Heifer’s living income benchmarks and thought leadership in accelerate focus areas.
May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
- Master’s Degree in Data Science, International Development, Social Science, Statistics, Computer Science, or a related field. 6-10 years’ job-related experience with a minimum of 3 years in management roles. Or PhD in related field with 3-7 years’ of job-related experience with a minimum of 2 years in a management role.
Experience with advanced statistical programming tools, for example Python or R. Machine learning expertise. Working knowledge of SQL and database platforms as well as data visualization tools lie PowerBI, D3, Tableau, ggplot.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Well-grounded in the discipline of project monitoring and evaluation, quantitative and qualitative data capture protocols, methodologies, and approaches.
- Experience working with field teams/operations.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and supporting data architecture, including data production, data management, metadata, quality control, data design, cleaning and validation, and publishing.
- Excellent working knowledge of data science tools, relevant programming languages (Excel, SPSS, Stata, PowerBI, SurveyCTO) and related statistics and visualization modules. Excellent working knowledge of SQL and database platforms as well as data visualization tools (such as PowerBI).
- Exceptionally high attention to detail and a demonstrated ability to identify and resolve errors and inconsistencies as part of a comprehensive quality control process.
- Demonstrated familiarity and experience with GIS systems (ESRI and/or QGIS, rasterio, GDAL) and data formats, satellite imagery, sensor data, big data and other alternative approaches to conventional statistics.
- Domain expertise in one or more subject areas of development data, such as demographic data, gender, socio-economic statistics, poverty, energy, infrastructure, agriculture, environment, etc. would be considered a plus.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely articulate complex ideas both in writing and verbally. Demonstrated experience in giving presentations to a range of different audiences.
- Strong interpersonal skills, particularly the ability to comfortably work across diverse teams and cultural backgrounds to understand a range of perspectives and communicate effectively.
- High level of professional enthusiasm and commitment to the Heifer’s core values and mission.
- Proven ability to build capacity in junior staff levels in MEL.
- Demonstrated ability to get things done when working across the organization – taking a pragmatic approach and applying influence when working outside of formal authority.
- Ability to focus, prioritize, and deflect distractions in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Fluency in English required and ability to travel to field sites.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the public, including colleagues in different time zones.
- May require constant sitting and moving, working at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to assign and review the work of direct reports, as well as motivate and engage team members.
- Willingness and ability to work outside of normal business hours.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed and currently estimated as 25%.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse and global setting.