Data Science Assistant
UNOPS, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Department of Field Support, Information and Communications Technology Division (UN DFS-ICTD) is responsible for the delivery of applications that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs). DFS has implemented a range of systems to address the principal requirements of peacekeeping operations and to support and enhance the processes DFS undertakes. UNOPS has been requested to assist in the implementation of this activity.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat. The incumbent of this position will be a personnel of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- First-level university degree or technical/professional diploma in Applied Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Computer Science, Information Systems / Technology, Engineering or related field is an asset or advantage.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of ICT, budget and finance, administration, human resources, or other related fields is required. A candidate with a University degree must have at least one (1) year of experience in the relevant area. A candidate who has a technical /professional diploma must have at least three (3) years of experience in the relevant area;
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in development, implementation and maintenance of data science related areas is required;
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience with Microsoft SQL or any other database tool is required;
- Experience in solving analytical problems using quantitative techniques;
- Experience with Power BI, DAX, advanced Excel Formulas and Power Query;
- Experience with the following Office365 tools: Flow, Forms, PowerApps and SharePoint;
- Knowledge of data science packages such as R and Python;
- Knowledge of Agile/Scrum methodologies;
- Should have a good data intuition. Should be good at identifying patterns in the data;
- Ability to take high level, loosely-defined business problems and identify precise, quantitative solutions;
- A passion for empirical investigation and for answering hard questions with data in a clear and precise way;
Language: English and French are the working languages of the UN. For this job opening, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.