Data Science Specialist
Population Council, New Delhi, India
Closing Date for Applications:
About The Organization:
The Population Council conducts research to address critical health and development issues. Our work allows couples to plan their families and chart their futures. The organization helps people avoid HIV infection and access life-saving HIV services and empower girls to protect themselves and have a say in their own lives. The council conduct research and programs in more than 50 countries. Our New York headquarters supports a global network of offices in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East.
The Data Science Specialist will support the Council’s data science project with insights gained from analyzing large demographic and health data including program monitoring data. An ideal candidate is adept at using large data sets for evaluating data quality, extracting insights for programs and using models to test the effectiveness of different mechanisms to improve data quality. S/he must have strong experience using a variety of data mining/data analysis methods, using a variety of data tools, building and implementing models, using/creating algorithms and creating/running simulations. The incumbent must be comfortable working with a wide range of stakeholders and functional teams. A right candidate will have a passion for discovering solutions hidden in large data sets and working with stakeholders to improve desired outcomes.
- Work with project team and collaborators to identify opportunities for leveraging large demographic and health data to drive a sustained campaign for improving data quality in the country’s health data ecosystem
- Mine and analyze large scale demographic and health data as well as program monitoring data with an eye to evaluate the quality issues hidden in the data
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques
- Use predictive modelling to increase and optimize solutions based on existing data
- Develop a framework for testing data quality
- Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyse data accuracy.
Qualifications and Experience:
- An advanced degree in Data Science/Data Analytics, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another relevant field
- At least 5 years of experience in analysing data sets and building statistical models,
- Experience in using statistical software’s eg., STATA, SPSS, R is desirable
- Experience using other computer languages (Python, SLQ, etc.) to manipulate data / data querying and draw insights from large data sets
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques and machine learning techniques (eg., GLM/ Regression, clustering, decision tree, Artificial Nuetral Networks, Random Forest, Boosting, text mining, social network analysis, etc.)
- Experience working with and creating data architectures.
- Good written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across teams.
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques.
- Experience in creating and using advanced machine learning algorithms and statistics: regression, simulation, scenario analysis, modelling, clustering, decision trees, neural networks, etc.