The principal mandate of the Committee on Missing Persons in Cyprus (CMP) is to establish the fate of Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots who went missing as a consequence of the tragic events of 1963-1964 and 1974 and to provide answers to families of missing persons who remain in grief. CMP’s work includes the obtaining of information that may lead to the exhumation, identification and return of remains of missing persons. This process enables the relatives of the victims to recover the remains of their loved ones, arrange for a proper burial and provide closure to a long period of anguish and uncertainty, thereby promoting a process of reconciliation, healing and dialogue between both communities. The investigation process is a key component of the CMP project and it is particularly transversal to the whole identification process and will assist in locating burial sites of missing persons. The CMP project also aims to strengthen the capacity for civil society to engage in sustained cooperation and reconciliation, through the important participation of bi-communal activities and cooperation in all stages of the process. The European Union (EU) has been regularly providing the majority of funds sustaining CMP operations.
The United Nations Development Programme, Programme Management Office (UNDP PMO) in Nicosia, Cyprus, seeks to contract on behalf of the CMP, a skilled Database Manager to contribute to CMP’s mandate.
The Database Manager is based in the CMP Anthropological Laboratory (CAL), reports to the UNDP Operations Manager and will work closely with CMP teams and the UNDP operations unit. CMP will be requested to review deliverables/timesheets from the substantive side and provide their opinion prior to approval of services and payment by the UNDP.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- The main function of this position is the management of the CMP’s M-Files database, including its administration.
- Act as the Administrator of the database and support all users
- If needed, support the staff with requests for searches and viewing of the database
- If needed, create, edit, delete fields/entries of the database
- Maintain the external laboratory connectivity of the database
- Maintenance of the database
- Act as a focal point of the database
- Act as a focal point for M-Files and software.
Hardware and software packages management
- Manage CMP’s hardware and software packages, with a particular focus on achieving results for the IT systems of the CMP laboratory (CAL), the Offices of CMP’s Turkish Cypriot and Greek Cypriot Members as well as the Archive Research Team.
- Workstation (personal computer) installation/configuration/maintenance
- Hardware and software maintenance and repair of office workstations (50 pcs)
- Hardware and software maintenance and repair of CAL workstations (36 pcs)
- Tablets: Installation of software and SIM cards and ensuring protection of the devices (50 pcs)
- Functioning and maintenance of printers/scanners/copiers
- Knowledge-sharing: Provision of assistance to CAL staff with regards to office applications and any other computer-related questions.
- Ensures efficient networks administration, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the network physical layer (structure cabling, fiber optic connections between switches that are installed at other buildings).
- Monitoring the network’s usage, traffic and failures as well as the provision of general repairs and security.
- Coordination with the hardware and software suppliers.
- Maintenance of remote monitoring systems and keeping track of the use of resources;
- Maintenance of an active directory, sharing and security and user’s account and IIS (web interface for the database).
- Performance of daily three types of backup to ensure redundancy and availability for all types of data (three types of backup for database, two types of back-up for CAL files and weekly full back-up for all units), maintenance of SAN server for backup purposes.
- Wi-Fi of CAL: Management of Access List and devices.
- CAL telephone-related issues (cell phone and landlines): Assigning, editing and troubleshooting connectivity issues and all related works.
- Ensures information security of CMP offices (CMP GC Member’s Office, CMP TC Member’s Office and Archive Research Unit located in the CMP Third Member’s Office) and CAL, with a focus on achieving the following results:
- Network security design. Monitoring of networks to detect any suspicious or hostile activities, and taking necessary measures, such as installing updated firewall access lists that defend against malicious system attacks.
- Implementation and maintenance of computer and information security systems.
- Maintenance of the security of all information technology services and recovery as per best practice including the CMP database.
- Maintenance of the security for wired and wireless networks.
- Authenticating servers.
- Access control to sensitive data.
- Access to premises.
- Conduct of periodic network monitoring and intrusion detection analysis to determine if there have been any attacks on the system.
- Mitigation of actions to contain the activity and minimize damage to the backup of all relevant data and restoration of lost data.
- Work with Archival Research Team, as relevant, to ensure security of sensitive records.
- Update of CMP Web Site content through content management interface. Manage, add, edit and delete content (videos, press release, photos and all other tasks) for the English, Greek and Turkish pages of the website.
- Liaise with web site content management system providing company for changes required.
- CMP e-mails: User management. Initiating contacts for any problems with the service provider. Maintenance of the email@example.com account and forwarding of e-mails to relevant parties.
- Liaise with UNFICYP ICTS section to maintain connection between the ALB and UNFICYP server.
- Liaise with vendors to resolve on-site hardware and maintenance for peripherals, in service areas, fire alarm, access control, lighting, drainages etc.
- Act as point for contact between vendors/contractors and the CMP Lab to coordinate deliveries and installation of various equipment and scheduled service (IT works, repairs, etc.).
- Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the CMP.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Ability to provide IT support services including IT hardware/infrastructure support, other IT applications support, web site content management.
- Excellent knowledge of PC/LAN operating systems, Microsoft Windows, corporate ICT security and viral protection systems, knowledge of web design, knowledge of Microsoft Windows network administration, ERP.
Strong analytical skills
- Ability to provide input to business process re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new systems.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
- Focuses on result for the clients and respond positively to feedback.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
- Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior.
- Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow
- People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Delivery: Ability to get things done
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Information Technology systems, Information Management, computer science or related disciplines with minimum 2 years of relevant working experience in the area of Information and Communication Technologies including database management, hardware and software packages management, networks administration, and web content management.
- Previous professional experience working with local communities in a post-conflict setting is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of Greek and/or Turkish is a strong asset but not a requirement.